Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Banned

Default Any advice for playing drums to church hymns?

Im not looking for any smart answers or anything but any of you other drummers that play in church help?

2. I <3 Ludwigs.

Hymns or P&W? big difference there. P&W you can pretty do anything that you can pull off well and that the music minister or worship leader likes... with Hymns, though... keep it very, very simple. These were mostly written before the drumset was ever invented!

3. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by erwinner
    Hymns or P&W? big difference there. P&W you can pretty do anything that you can pull off well and that the music minister or worship leader likes... with Hymns, though... keep it very, very simple. These were mostly written before the drumset was ever invented!

Hymns are tonight and P&W is tommorow.
    P&W i can just wing it
    and play around with the songs.

but im playing 2 hymns tonight
    "since jesus came into my heart" and " When we all get to heaven"
    in front alot of people, the biggest event my church has.

4. Banned

anyone else?

5. *** for Andols Herrick

I'd keep it very simple.. little or no fills

6. Banned

okie dokie
    any other advise ?

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by EwGrossChris
    Hymns are tonight and P&W is tommorow.
    P&W i can just wing it
    and play around with the songs.

but im playing 2 hymns tonight
    "since jesus came into my heart" and " When we all get to heaven"
    in front alot of people, the biggest event my church has.
    Both are cool hymns to add drums to. "Since Jesus came into my heart" is in 4/4 and you can add bass on 1&3 and snare on 2&4 with some quick simple fills here and there. You'll know when to add them. If it is sung at a pretty clip, it is easier to add the drums. "When we all get to heaven" is also in 4/4 and it also works better if the tempo is brisk not funeral dirge pace. This hymn , I'm thinking, could even use some cymbals in the chorus. Yah, drums will work in both of these hymns. But, like the man says, keep it simple.

Have fun.

8. Registered User

You can do pretty much what you will with those two hymns. The first tends towards a somewhat jazzy rhythm, the second....... is like cowboy country. They are easy songs. Ive played them at least a thousand times.

9. Registered User

Anything with gratuitous blast beats on the double kick and plenty of wild tom fills to jazz things up.

10. ...has Stanton's hands??

Hymns?

Here's some advice: sit out.
    Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
    -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
    -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements
    Music

11. old dog, new tricks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMurray
    Anything with gratuitous blast beats on the double kick and plenty of wild tom fills to jazz things up.
    hahahaha

Hymns are the same as any other song, you need to feel the rhythm and flow of the song and lead the tempo. Some hymns are in 3/4 and you have to be careful not to turn them into a waltz; I usually do something close to a stuttered shuffle to give it a little more breathing room. otherwise if it's in 4/4, just keep it simple. Remember that you are there to compliment the song.
    It is said correctly that the law exists not for the just, but the unjust as the just carry the law in their hearts and need not call it from afar.

12. om nom nom nom nom

Quote Originally Posted by BauldieOrSkills
    I'd keep it very simple.. little or no fills

whattttttttttttttttttt???????????????????????????? ???

I am going to have to disagree with that. Don't go over the top insane drumming but dont do like just the 8th note patterns for church drumming in general. For church drumming, hymns and P&W (praise and worship im guessing) you need to be able to play what the song calls for. If it's more upbeat dont just play quarter notes on the ride, get in there and give the music a FEEL. You wouldn't play hardcore double bass for jazz and you wouldn't do a swing for punk. You have to be able to play what the music is asking for. Why do so many professional drummers recomend playing in church? because you get to play pretty much every style of music there. The only REAL way you can prepare for going in there is to be ready to play very versatile things. Bring in your most versatile cymbals (HH RBDR 21" and maybe some K custom or A custom hats, those are commonly used in church drumming)
    :mad:**$iTroll**$:mad: