Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Erect Member

Quote Originally Posted by cesko
    I talked with the awesome Gene, and he gave me some insights on the 3 FFS generations, so I update the info collected as of today:

1st (1987 ?-1998 ?): Hexagonal lugs, different strainers over the years
    2nd (1998 ?-2005): Round smooth lugs, SR-010 Throw-off, S-025 High Carbon Steel Extended Snares, for a short period Superhoop II hoops instead of die-cast hoops
    3rd (2005-today): SR-100 Glidelock Strainer, SN-1420I Ultrasound snares
    One other change for the anal among us is the badge change from rectangular in the 1st and 2nd series to oval in the 3rd series.

Pearl Wine Red Masters Custom MMX

My Kit . Driver Right . Driver Left . 60 of My 68 Pearl Snares

2. Guru delle Pelli

Yes you're right hitsme!

On the 1st gen strainer: mine is absolutely gorgeous and definitely reliable.. very good throw-off and fully adjustable.
    My Kit: TAMA Artstar ES●Zildjian/UFiP/Wuhan Cymbals●TAMA/Pearl Hardware●LP●Vater Sticks●Evans Heads
    My "new" FF snare!

3. Registered User

RattaTatTat:
    Just wondering whether it is possible if you could replace the Superhoops with wooden hoops.

Tay:
    It's definately possible. The aluminum chasis doesn't interfere with the hoops at all.

4. Registered User

More info on hoop types used...

cesko:
    The Copper FFS has Mastercast hoops, like the Brass and Maple models. Only the Steel one has Superhoops.

5. Registered User

I am considering buying a FF 6-1/2. Any one heard a FF with the copper shell?

6. Registered User

Most people say that it is similar to brass but a bit dryer (less ring).

7. Registered User

DEEP SHELL FREE FLOATERS:

Coheed:
    Hey, does anybody know where I can get a 14x8 Pearl FF, other than eBay?

Monday317:
    They don't make 'em new anymore, so eBay or Craig's List are going to be your friends.

funk_drum:
    Buy a 6.5" used and get a deeper shell from an aftermarket supplier.

Coheed:
    Won't that require different lugs?

ac_yammi:
    You could replace the lugs, but it's easier to replace the tension rods. Jumping from a 6.5 to a 8 by changing the tension rods wouldn't hurt.

t.huval:
    That's exactly what I did and it doesn't look bad at all, and sounds great.

8. Registered User

SMALL DIAMETER FREE FLOATERS

Cj360270:
    ....my plan is to buy a 13x5 undrilled Padauk shell and a Pearl Free Floater system.

Symbolic:
    Free floaters are only available in 14".

Andy@MassMusic:
    There are 13" FF's in the marching lines, but they are set up differently.

9. Registered User

More info on Pearl Free Floaters....

VENTS ON FREE FLOATERS

ddrumman2004:
    I don't know about replacement shells by other manufacturers but the Pearl maple shell on my free floater has no holes in the shell. The ventilation holes are in the bottom aluminum ring, one behind each snare "strainer".

DO FREE FLOATERS HAVE MORE OR LESS RESONANCE?

Zach94:
    Free floaters are really nice and definitely have a unique tone (I have a 14x6.5 Brass FF). But, they do not have more resonance in my experience. My brass free floater has noticably less resonance than a similar Sensitone. I love the sound of it, and the sharp snare edge and floating wires make it very sensitive.

??:
    Because there is nothing inhibiting the vibration of the shell and the head, there is an almost endless tuning range. The drum does not choke no matter how high you tune it.

Zach94:
    I love my brass free-floater, but I don't think it's for the same reason that they market the free-floater. My snare tends to be slightly drier than a "standard" (Sensitone...) brass snare, possibly because of the 1.5" of cast aluminum "shell" incorporated. I think it has a beautiful tone and projects amazing, but I really don't hear the increased resonance that is supposed to be inherent to its design.

BLACK SHELLS

Mictian:
    Just got this (black brass FF) on Ebay for a pretty cool price.
    But I've never seen a Free Floating with a black brass shell.
    Maybe this is a cheaper model? From which year?

funk_drum:
    The black shells weren't brass...they were steel.

10. Registered User

Default SR010 strainer

Is there an optimum, or unique setting for the butt end adjustment on this strainer? I have been using a 6.5' x 14" brass FF for 9 years, and never really have touched the setting, until recently when replacing a head. Is it more of a fine tuning thing, like keeping the snares stright, parallell, etc? Anybody know what the real use of this feature is?

11. LedZepHead

Question

I had the presence of mind to buy a 14x6.5 FFS around the time the ones that have the cast hoops and the smooth round lugs came out, with a maple shell. Seems like a very versital drum this FFS.

How do you identify the snare throw off's? I'm assuming that I have the SR-010's. Also the badge is rectangular, has like a dark redish color print with a black plate between the shell and the badge. How are the cast hoops in comparison to the others used, ie, the Superhoops? What are superhoops?

I was kind of thinking about going to a clear or smoked color shell and was wondering where I can purchase something like that? My EXS drums are smokey Chrome and I think the clear or smoke color would look decent.

Thanks,
    Gary
    "Get away son you bother me!" W.C. Fields.

12. Groovin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C
    I had the presence of mind to buy a 14x6.5 FFS around the time the ones that have the cast hoops and the smooth round lugs came out, with a maple shell. Seems like a very versital drum this FFS.

How do you identify the snare throw off's? I'm assuming that I have the SR-010's. Also the badge is rectangular, has like a dark redish color print with a black plate between the shell and the badge. How are the cast hoops in comparison to the others used, ie, the Superhoops? What are superhoops?

I was kind of thinking about going to a clear or smoked color shell and was wondering where I can purchase something like that? My EXS drums are smokey Chrome and I think the clear or smoke color would look decent.

Thanks,
    Gary
    The 6.5" maple FF is a really versatile drum, I love mine!

Here is the catalog shot of the SR-010 http://www.pearldrum.com/04_spareparts/PDF/42-SR.pdf

Superhoops are Pearl's 2.3mm triple flanged hoop. An excellent hoop, I may add. Superhoops give a fatter, more open rimshot while Mastercast give a brighter, focused rimshot which sounds a little louder from the higher frequency tonal content. Mastercast hoops are heavier, too.

Precision drums has acrylic shells in clear, smoke and a lot of other colors. For a 6.5" FF shell, you need a 5 1/8" shell with one bearing edge and the other edge flat. You could probably order a 5.5" shell from them and have them cut one bearing edge and cut the shell down. I have done this and it works just as well-just throw a 5" shell into your FF, it's overall depth will be 6 3/8", which is just an 1/8" shorter than stock. You can't hear a difference.
    http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/acrylic.html
    There is always yestermorrow...
    My Emerald Mists: 8x8 10x8 12x9 13x11 Toms 14x14 16x14 18x16 Floor Toms 18x16 20x16 24x18 Kicks 14x5.5 and 2 14x6.5 Snares
    Also Pearl: 2 14x6.5 Free Floaters (Maple, Brass & 2 Aluminum shells) 10x6 and 12x7 Maple snares, 13x3 Steel Afro Timbale