Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Should I Buy These TAMA Octobans?

Hey,

I found a deal on some TAMA Octobans (low set with four pieces) for around $600. They come with two TAMA HOW29W stands (I was looking into getting these to mount the octobans on a rack).

The sizes of the octobans are:
    443mm;472mm;536mm;600mm

Do you think this is a good deal and I should go for it? I was originally going to buy some cymbals, but if I can get a cheaper deal on Octobans I think I might go for it.

They are the exact Octobans I was hoping for, the sizes and stands and brand are perfect for me.

Thoughts?

2. YDF'er

They run around $750 for a new set. So, depending on condition, sounds like a good deal to me.

3. Registered User

Unless prices have drastically inreased over the years, that seems a bit steep. I bought a set of four high-pitched Octobans, with the stand, about eight or nine years ago for somewhere between $400 and $500.

4. Brick Tamland

If those are the low pitch set then its a great deal (if there in good condition) like Pumpkinbiker00 said they run around $750. Otherwise if its the high pitch set then they should only be running around $550.
    I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
    Tama Swingstar
    My Ocean Sparkle Kit
    My Ebay
    Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

5. Swedish Double Bass MachineFUN

Giving my snare it's daily dose of RLRR LRLL

while it might be a fine price, do you really need octobans? Unless you already have a full set of professional cymbals, it would be completely ludacris to spend 600 bucks on octobans before cymbals, imo.

6. Registered User

Yeah, I still need to get better cymbals.

I forgot to add it's an auction, and the price has gone to $600.

I was also considering Peace Octobans, would I be happier spending $300 for Peace Octobans rather than $750 on TAMA Octobans?

Does anyone know why TAMA seems to overprice these octobans? I know the quality is most likely a bit better than the Peace octobans, but you could buy a whole drum set for the same price as TAMA's octobans.

7. Registered User

I had Pear quarter toms for a while. They are similar to Tama's octos. I have always wanted some especially after hearing Stewart Copeland using them, and then years later hearing guys like Mike Portnoy using them. Once I got them I realized two things. They don't sound nearly as good as the ones on record (I think the studio makes the sound I was looking for, not the drum). And I didn't play them nearly enough to justify keeping them. I sold them and got my money back luckily.

If I were you, I would be nore concerned with having good drums, hardware, and cymbals before moving on to extras like octos.

8. Registered User

I dont know how the Peace octobans are, but if you really want them you would probably be best off getting the here.http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ.../bargain-drums
    http://www.steveweissmusic.com/produ.../bargain-drums

9. This Bloodied Utopia

the tama octos are overpriced bcause they are the origonal designers, and they feel they can charge more for them. if you can try the peace ones, they arn't that different. (i played both types, but bought neither, they turned out not be my thing)
    BUT. unless you have a full set of pro cymbals i would by cymbals instead.

10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrainWiped
    the tama octos are overpriced bcause they are the origonal designers, and they feel they can charge more for them. if you can try the peace ones, they arn't that different. (i played both types, but bought neither, they turned out not be my thing)
    BUT. unless you have a full set of pro cymbals i would by cymbals instead.
    I believe Dragon Drums were out before the Tamas. Tamas have become the industry standard, but Bill Bruford was using dragon drums (clear acrylic ones) before Tama was making them.

11. well im the great woodland elf

Sounds like a bang up deal too me. I would suggest that we get some pictures, of the inside and the skins, and hoops. Therefore collectively we can give you a defiante answer for the condition vs price.
    MY GHETTO FABULOUS KIT BATMAN ARMY MEMBER!
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

WOOT I HAVE A NEW BEST FRIEND AND HIS NAME IS IHAVEAGLASSJAW

R.I.P Kill.Joy

12. Registered User

They're all pretty much alike in basic design (6" dia. x whatever incremental depth), however, the Peace and Pearl versions are made with aluminum shells and are very similar - pretty much identical from what I've heard... I've heard a few music shop owners tell me that they're (the Pearl and Peace ones) actually made from the SAME material stock in the SAME Taiwanese factory - don't know if that's true or not. ANYWAY... The Tamas are a resin or fiberglass type of shell. I did see that DDRUM also makes them in 10 different depths (they call them Deccabans 00** ), and the shells are fiberglass similar to the Tama construction - closer in price to the Peace ones.

I have the Pearl Quarter Toms and they sound great to me. I find that they have a little more "lively" sound than the Tamas due to the added ring/resonance from the aluminum. Depends on what your budget is and your sound needs are as to what you'll like the best.

Also, another consideration - if you ever want to expand your octo set, the Pearl Quarter Toms are only available in 4 depths & 2 colors (piano black and arctic white), and the Peace (Octotoms) and Tama versions are both available in 8 depths and, to my knowledge, are only available in black. Of course, the DDRUM ones are available in 10 different depths, and I've only seen them in black. Don't know if they make them in different colors or if they will do custom colors. You can always have a local painter or auto body shop paint them to match your kit if you want (if black or white don't work for you) and can afford to have it done. My kit is already Piano Black, so I got lucky with a perfect match to my QT's!

There are other brands out there that are made of wood, PVC, etc... There are plans that I saw a long time ago online somewhere that show how to make them yourself from acrylic and/or PVC tubing... BUT, the Pearl, Peace, Tama, and DDRUM versions are the readily available, mass produced ones I see on e-bay and online most often.