Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. 1023 yards in one game for Bo!

Default Floor Tom to Bass Drum

Lately I have been really into getting a new bass drum for my starclassic maple kit. I was going to order an 18" bass drum, but might order a 16" floor tom an convert it to a bass drum. I have done this before, but not the way I want to do it this time. My question: Has anyone ever done this and put Bass Drum hoops on their 16" floor tom to make this conversion possible?
    My name is Matt. I went to Temple. I love jazz. I was born in 1982.
    www.fowlsoundstudio.com

Trade your 14" K HiHats for my 14" K Light HiHats?!?!

2. Abomination of desolation

Seen it on 18 floor tom so why not? Get a cradle or a base to lift and keep it in place like the dw,gibraltar or pearl system and upload the pics!!!
    Beneath a summer sky
    Under glass moonlight
    Night awaits the lamb's arrival
    Liquid shadows crawl
    Silver teardrops fall
    The bride subsides to her survival

Ref Crystal Rain Army!!!

3. Registered User

Finding wooden hoops for a bass drum that size would be difficult. You can always get the yamaha wooden hoops, but they are the claw-less type which would defy the point of getting bass hoops. You should hunt around custom companies who have a mold for the clawed wooden hoops. You should also see if Keller has them. You could try and contact a Keller distributor and see if they make them (I think they do). To properly do it, you need to buy bass drum lugs. Why? Because the bass drum lug us bigger and it spaces the tension rod farther away from the shell to allow the claw to properly grasp the thicker hoop. Also buy matching spurs and lugs to match your other bass.

4. Registered User

Putting wood hoops with claws on a floor tom may also change the angle of the tension rod so that it will not go into the lug or puts abnormal pressure on the lug/rod.

J
    Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
    Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
    Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
    Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
    Sabian and Paiste cymbals

5. groovelibrary.blogspot.co m

I have been thinking about converting a 16 or 18 lately. I have never done it before so keep us posted! :P
    The Groove Library - Drum Grooves Blog.

6. Exploring the beat world !

First look at this thread I've made last year.

Small Kick Riser

Wood hoops are available from keller in 16" and they are affordable.
    http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/maple_hoops.html
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN

Member of: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion Army

maniac0796: Doesn't matter with Remo. By the time you realize they had coating, it'll be gone.

7. 1023 yards in one game for Bo!

Thanks for all the help everybody. Mind Drummer, great links. I am still not sure if I am going to do this or just buy the 18" bass drum. It is for jazz, and I really love tiny bass drums (Jungle kit is what I used about 5 or 6 years ago for jazz). I just worry about limiting myself. I feel that an 18" bass drum would be more versatile than a 16" floor converted to a bass drum.
    My name is Matt. I went to Temple. I love jazz. I was born in 1982.
    www.fowlsoundstudio.com

Trade your 14" K HiHats for my 14" K Light HiHats?!?!

8. Deputy Grand Poobah

My 18" is a converted floor tom. I'd still be waiting for a proper 18" kick, since they don't make my line anymore (Sonor Hilite).

There's a trend for kits with 16" kicks. So, you should have no problem finding hoops these days. But, expect to PAY. Quite a bit. And you'll have to buy longer tension rods, and claws. It will most likely end up costing more for the conversion, than just buying a 18" kick already set outright.

Most of the time, drummers convert the floor tom because it's not being used as such. If you want a bass drum, buy a bass drum, but if you want a floor tom that moonlights from time to time as a bass drum, there's a different story.

9. Registered User

I've converted an old 16" floor tom into a bassdrum. But I suggest making some kind of gaskets to place under the lugs to prevent bad angles.

Here´s a pic while in the making (sorry about the low quality picture):

I also converted a 13" tom into a floor tom (pictured above) using the legs from the converted floor tom.