Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default How do you get the best 'chick' sound with your hi-hats?

I have Sabian AA 14" hats. I play them on the stand that came with Rockstar Custom kits a couple years ago.

I find that the 'chick' I get when I close my hats together isn't as good as it could be. It seems like they're trapping a lot of air and I feel a lot of air being moved out of the hats.

How can I go about getting the best hit hat sound? Should I tilt the bottom hat at all?

Also, is the sound affected by the felts? Should I get new felts? Should I get thinner felts?

2. Cymbalminded fool.

Yes, you should tilt the bottom. If you don't tilt it, an airlock may form and it kills the sound. Check your clutch tightness too - that the lower bolt is tightened, and the upper adjustment bolts have the cymbal loose enough, so it's not choked.
    Thinner felts are not the answer. Check that your felts are not too worn. If they're just flat pieces of felt that don't cushion the cymbal at all, it's a bad thing.
    If this still doesn't help, check your cymbals for cracks, just in case.
    Pearl Vision VSX Orange Sparkle
    pAiSTe
    2oo2 - Giant Beat

Trust yourself - trust your ears.

3. Marxist

I solved that problem before it occurred... I bought Sabian Fusion hats that come with vented (two holes) bottom cymbals. You could try drilling holes into your existing cymbals yourself (I think others on this forum made have done it themselves) but you have to be very, very careful...
    "We're all given a ticket to the American freak show the day we're born and some people, they put their ticket away. Me, I watch the show."-- George Carlin

4. Ver-ry Bad Man!

Yeah check the felts and tilt it a bit. Also make sure you aren't overtightening the top hat.

If you still don't like the sound, maybe you just like the sound of a different set of hats? I've never thought much of AA's myself...but it's just a stupid opinion.

Now aside from all that if you really wanna get funky with the cheez wiz, you can buy a new bottom hat like the fusion bottom with the air holes, or maybe a Mastersound bottom with a rippled edge. They're fun!
    We’re not gonna diminish our joy just because they live in denial.

5. Registered User

Yeah, the AAs are ok. I bought them a number of years ago. I would like to change to AAXs or HHXs.

I really love the sound that Jeremy Taggert (drummer for Our Lady Peace) has on the new Live album of theirs. He plays with Zildjian K Customs it would seem. Does Sabian make a hi-hat similar to that series?

6. Ex-Member

ermmm i have a problem with my hi hats but its not that. i want them to be open so i can double pedal nad have them ready to play. but if i open them about half 1cm the top hat doesnt it the bottom hat, so it sounds ****y.
    how can i lose them so they can hit each other? i have dyno hats. if u watched metallica's dvd from their new album, those hi hats lars has are the same that i have. but his hi hats hit each other....

tkx

7. Registered User

Default RaGnArOk

The top hat must be able to move, so you have to loosen the two upper adjustment bolts. This will make your top hat hit the bottom, but again, you must have decent felts.
    Riukupastori!

8. peace

RaGnAr0k: if you open them just a little(1cm should be fine) and loosen the top nut so the top hat can move pretty freely, and tilt the bottom a little , the hats should hit when they're played and sound fine.

note:if the tension on the hihat stand is to tight the top hat wont bounce when hit and it may be preventing the hats from touching.
    "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art."
    - Charlie Parker

9. Ex-Member

ok, i think i got the ideia.
    i'll be trying it tomorrow.

tkx

10. Registered User

You could try rubber washers instead of felts (below the bottom hat and on the clutch)....they seem to accentuate the chick somewhat.

11. Registered User

Smile

Definitely go with rubber hi hat felts that Pearl sells. I just changed mine a month ago and what a difference they make! The other option is to switch to Paiste 2oo2 or Signature Sound Edge Hi Hats, the wavy bottom really gives the hats a cutting "chick" sound. I've had my sound edges for about 15 yrs.

12. Registered User

He plays with Zildjian K Customs it would seem. Does Sabian make a hi-hat similar to that series?

Your looking at the HH or HHX range if you want a sound similar to the K Custom series, but nothing will sound quite the same as a K Custom...