Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. d(-_^)

Default tuning snare drum for rim shot

i'm not great at tuning...i rank more towards "adequate"

anyway, i was playing a NOFX song which requires rim shots. i know the technique to do rim shots, but my 13" yamaha musashi was not willing to make that sound. i blame my tuning, and i ask permission to tap into the pdf's infinite wisdom

how do i tune this thing to be able to hit rim shots? my 13x6.5 musashi currently has an evans hd dry snare head and hazy 300 reso. top tighter than bottom or vice versa? relatively tight or loose? one lug tighter than the other to offset the tension which releases the high pitch "tang!"? i have no idea

thank you for your help in advance

2. -__-

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian01
    how do i tune this thing to be able to hit rim shots?
    You can't. Rimshots are all about technique. You might want to angle your snare drum slightly away from you, i've found this has helped me rimshot 99.9% of the time.

However to get a similar sound to what you're after i'd tune both heads medium tight, keep your snare wires nice and loose. Oh and before someone else says it, it's very difficult....if not impossible to replicate the snare sound from an album so don't get too disheartened if you can't get that exact sound you want.

3. *Hardcore training*

try with other heads? after an extensive tunning, of course. that was in case you tune the little warrior with no results. I'm using the power center/hazy 300 combo and it rules.

4. Custom User Title

I just picked up a used musashi recently. It came with the evans hd dry head and stock reso. Man, this thing kicks ***. Can't wait to bring it to church this week

To the threadstarter, I can't describe exactly how I've got mine dialed in, I just do it till it 'sounds right'.

5. Registered User

That head is pretty dead if you want to get a loud ring out of your snare. I'd try a coated G1 or Ambassador or a Power Center/CS Dot.

6. Opeth & Dream Theater Nut

Yeah, you cant really tune specifically for rim shots. Its just how you hit the sking and rim at the same time. Tuning can't do much to help with a rim shot sounding perfect. Just make sure your head is tight enough, a loose head wont create a good rim shot sound
    Don't Cross The Crooked Step

You like Thrash? Then check out my band:
    Fragmenta
    www.myspace.com/fragmentaband

7. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by thismercifulfate
    That head is pretty dead if you want to get a loud ring out of your snare. I'd try a coated G1 or Ambassador or a Power Center/CS Dot.
    Agreed.

CS Dot, tuned a little higher than normal should give a close enough result, without changing technique.

8. d(-_^)

thank you all for the responses thus far

wow that's something new...i didn't know that rim shot was all about technique and little to none about the tuning. and yes, i'm sure that hd dry isn't the best to produce the rim shot sound as i picked it to produce a warm sound out of the musashi. i do love the cs dot...but i bought a different head instead b/c i wanted to experiment tuning with snares and cs dots are one of the easiest snare heads to tune imo

two more questions though...does stick thickness matter for rim shots? how about type/# of snare wires?

9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian01
    thank you all for the responses thus far

two more questions though...does stick thickness matter for rim shots? how about type/# of snare wires?
    No and no. You can rimshot with any thickness of stick. And you can rim-shot a tom which hasn't any snare wires at all. It's all about hitting the rim and the head at the same time, it just takes a bit of practice, but not as much practice as you'd think.

Stephen

10. Drummer for Asyria

ur head might not open up enough
    the ones with dots do because they are focused in the middle, but have great rimshot capabilities outside of the dot.
    I used to use this forum for quite a long time, took a break from 2010-late 2012. Hoping to be more active again!

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyMonk
    Agreed.

CS Dot, tuned a little higher than normal should give a close enough result, without changing technique.
    Couldn't agree more! I've tried that same head and for me it sucked big time! How dead can a head be...

Change to the best head, the Remo CS Dot
    14x4.5 Brady Sheoak Block
    13x7 Brady Jarrah Block
    14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty

CHECK MY INCUBUS TRIBUTE BAND!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

http://www.myspace.com/incubamos

12. Bammed

what NOFX song was it? i love NOFX!! hehe.
    MAPEX

UPDATED PICS (New Gear)

BAND - FAMOUS APE

Mapex Saturn in Rootbeer Burst...:)

:D14x5.5 Jimmy Chamberlin Snare:D

:eek: :D >>>>>>MAPEX -- TAMA -- YAMAHA -- ZILDJIAN -- PAISTE -- VATER<<<<<< :D :eek: