Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Professional Idiot

Default Chrome vs Satin Chrome-- What's the difference?

What's the difference between satin chrome and chrome? I know there's a slight difference in colour, but how is this done? How are the materials and/or processes different?
    -Geoff

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

My Hero

My kit!!! Check it out, and comment. :D

Happy Freakin' Birthday!

Put this is your sig if you believe in equality.

Christian Drummers Army!

Support the artists. Put this in your signature if you actually buy music.

2. GWUHHHHH

I'm pretty sure it's just coated to look that way, just as hardware is powdercoated flat black. They're both very similar texture wise, with the only difference between color.

3. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Drum-Bum
    What's the difference between satin chrome and chrome? I know there's a slight difference in colour, but how is this done? How are the materials and/or processes different?
    Chrome is a mirror finish.

"Satin" chrome is more silver in color, but it lacks the "mirror" finish. It basically looks like silver paint. It's simply a different plating formula. It's done the same way. Just as gold and nickel plating are applied. An ask.com inquiry will give you lots of detailed exaplanations on how plating is done. Some places do "brushed chrome" which also has no mirror qualitites and appears to be brushed with a wire brush but it's smooth.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

4. Professional Idiot

Ok, thanks. I kind of get it, now. Just one thing: so, is it chrome that's painted, or is it just painted as opposed to chrome-plated?
    -Geoff

My Hero

Happy Freakin' Birthday!

Christian Drummers Army!

5. Moderator

Ok, thanks. I kind of get it, now. Just one thing: so, is it chrome that's painted, or is it just painted as opposed to chrome-plated?
    Both chrome and satin chrome are both plating processes. Satin just looks painted.

6. Professional Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1
    Both chrome and satin chrome are both plating processes. Satin just looks painted.
    So, the hardware is chrome plated, but with painted chrome (it's still chrome)?
    -Geoff

My Hero

Happy Freakin' Birthday!

Christian Drummers Army!

7. Moderator

So, the hardware is chrome plated, but with painted chrome (it's still chrome)?
    It's not called "painted chrome". But yes. Its simply called Satin Chrome Plating. Just like Nickel Plating, Gold plating. etc.

8. Professional Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPKNOT1
    It's not called "painted chrome". But yes. Its simply called Satin Chrome Plating. Just like Nickel Plating, Gold plating. etc.
    Ok, thanks!
    -Geoff

My Hero

Happy Freakin' Birthday!

Christian Drummers Army!

9. Human crack in the flesh

oh boy. some of this is wrong. Brushed is with lines, like how metal would look if you went at it with a metal brush wheel on a dremel or a grinder. matte is as if you did the same thing with fine grade sandpaper, not shiny, but no lines, like a sandblasted look. White gold jewelry is a good example, because it gets rhodium plated, and rhodium looks a lot like chrome. nickel is just a different color metal used for plating, darker compared to chrome. For pearl, i like matte, but some specialty companies do nice things with oxidization and "pre-weathered" hardware.
    BP sold! have odds and ends, in case anyone is restoring something (a ton of the generic old pearl style lugs), Gibraltar 8 lug DCs (tom hoops with holes drilled for snare wires) 12" gong, and a new zildjian 12" A custom splash, portnoy 11" splash, some old parts that will fit an acrolite....

10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by microkit
    oh boy. some of this is wrong. Brushed is with lines, like how metal would look if you went at it with a metal brush wheel on a dremel or a grinder. matte is as if you did the same thing with fine grade sandpaper, not shiny, but no lines, like a sandblasted look. White gold jewelry is a good example, because it gets rhodium plated, and rhodium looks a lot like chrome. nickel is just a different color metal used for plating, darker compared to chrome. For pearl, i like matte, but some specialty companies do nice things with oxidization and "pre-weathered" hardware.
    What? I explained Brushed chrome the same way you did. And saying matte chrome looks like silver paint is the same appearence as you are describing. Nobody asked what Nickel looks like and i did'nt give an example of it anyhow. And what does white gold have to do with anything in this thread? Perhaps re-reading the above posts might help?

11. Human crack in the flesh

What? I explained Brushed chrome the same way you did. And saying matte chrome looks like silver paint is the same appearence as you are describing. Nobody asked what Nickel looks like and i did'nt give an example of it anyhow. And what does white gold have to do with anything in this thread? Perhaps re-reading the above posts might help?

i don't think it looks like silver paint. white gold is the easiest way i know of to find and compare these finishes. I have some background in jewelry, so i learned a little about plating and finishes. but you are corect, i had no right to bring up nickel. i apologize.
    BP sold! have odds and ends, in case anyone is restoring something (a ton of the generic old pearl style lugs), Gibraltar 8 lug DCs (tom hoops with holes drilled for snare wires) 12" gong, and a new zildjian 12" A custom splash, portnoy 11" splash, some old parts that will fit an acrolite....

12. The cake is a lie

its so much simpeler
    chrome=pretty
    satin=40gagillionX prettyer than chrome
    the difference is all color