Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Tama Artist

Default Metal Snare Drum Painting.

Hi. Search function is not working.

I wanna paint my metal snare drum with some aerosol paint, but I don't know how to do it (metal prep and stuff). Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!
    NECESSARY ATTRIBUTES FOR A DRUMMER:

Humility, Team Spirit, Passion, Confidence, Respect, Purpose, Vision, Desire.

Quote Originally Posted by At the circus
    one time I had an orgy with him and his mom

2. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by manudrum
    Hi. Search function is not working.

I wanna paint my metal snare drum with some aerosol paint, but I don't know how to do it (metal prep and stuff). Could anyone please help me? Thanks in advance!
    First you need to sand down the chrome if any.

What is the metal?
    Success is not when others know you're fulfilled with your life, it's when YOU know you're fulfilled with it.

3. Tama Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwiggy
    First you need to sand down the chrome if any.

What is the metal?
    Mhhh... don't know... it's a cheap snare that came with my cheap drumset And how do I sand it?

4. ...A mind like Water...

Quote Originally Posted by manudrum
    Mhhh... don't know... it's a cheap snare that came with my cheap drumset And how do I sand it?
    As much as I love the material STEEL I assume it's steel.

But I honestly don't know, you could try sandpaper and then roughen the main layer of chrome off so that you can paint over it.
    Success is not when others know you're fulfilled with your life, it's when YOU know you're fulfilled with it.

5. Tama Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwiggy
    As much as I love the material STEEL I assume it's steel.

But I honestly don't know, you could try sandpaper and then roughen the main layer of chrome off so that you can paint over it.
    Ok, let's asumme it's steel. SO what kind of sandpaper should I use? And then what? Can I apply the paint?

6. snails

this is one i did.

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=168988

do a search for the thread for the acro fezz refinished. it would be much more instructional than mine was.

7. As Seen On TV

I typed this out for Aggie182 a while back. It's how I painted my Acrolite. (pics in sig), and should work for you as well.

well ill try to complete a step by step instruction on this, but i am sure that ill leave something out.

1-remove all hardware so you have a blank shell (with the exception of the badge if youd like to keep it..more on this later)

2-use about a 220 grit sand paper and go all around the shell sanding over it thoroughly.

3-if there are any scratches on the shell, you may need to feather the scratch out. to feather something out, you will need to start sanding at the edges of the scratch and pulling away from it, fading it in to the outter parts. the fade needs to be at least twice to three times greater than the original spot. you will be able to tell when the scratch is gone, by feeling it. where before, you could feel a rough spot on the shell, it will now be smooth.

4-your drum, like mine, has a roll in the middle. make sure you get in the crease between the flat shell and the begining of the roll. to do this, fold the sand paper in half, to make it stronger, and then use the folded edge to sand it.

5-repeat steps 2-4 with a finer grit sand paper, such as 320 or even finer if you'd like.

6-step 6 will probably require a trip to town for supplies. you will need a sheet of poster board or two larger than your drum. primer (doesnt have to be in the same color family, but it is prefered), a tack cloth, and some masking tape. the hardware store/paint shop should be able to help you with any questions you may have about this.

7-tape up the holes on the inside of the drum were the hardware attatches to the shell, to prevent the paint from getting inside your drum.

8-lay the drum flat on the poster board, and trace around the drums perimeter with a pencil, pen, or marker. cut the circle out of the posterboard and fit it inside the shell, snug against the lip of the bearing edge. this will allow you to paint the bearing edges without getting overspray on the inside of the drum.

9-repeat step 8 with the second sheet of poster board, and place it inside the drum against the other bearing edge.

10-clean the drum with a soft rag to get rid of any trash that maybe on it.

11-take the tack cloth and place it in the palm of your hand. lay your hand down on the drum so your fingers will be pointing to where the heads should be. the position of your fingers is important. if you have the horizontal with the drum, you will be able to see where your fingers were applying forced to the drum.

12-when tacking the drum, do not apply alot of pressure. it should just be enough to make the tack cloth stick to your hand when rubbing the drum.

13-if you would like to keep the badge on your drum, tape over the badge, making sure to overlap the layers of tape, to ensure no overspray gets on it. now using a razor blade, cut the tape out from around the badge. you should be left with no tape anywhere except for on the badge. this will most likey be aggrivating to get it just right

14-now its time to apply primer. follow the directions on the can. evenly coat the drum with the primer, and let dry for suggested time.

15-after drying, sand shell with fine grit sand paper, once again smoothing out the shell.

16-if you wish to add a stripe or some other pattern to the drum, send me another pm, or message me on aim. I am only skipping this part, because it requires several more steps and could be fustrating for you. I know it was for me.

17-now its down to the last lap. I used just regurlar spray paint to do my acrolite. pick out the color you want, and follow directions on can.

18-let paint dru for suggested time

19-carefully and slowly remove the tape and poster board from the drum, watching closely to make sure the removing proccess isnt peeling the paint off from the drum.

20- reassemble the drum, and have fun

If you have any questions PM me, send me a message on myspace, or IM me on AIM. I am looking forward to seeing this drum. make sure you post pictures

8. Tama Artist

Quote Originally Posted by drumonthebrain
    I typed this out for Aggie182 a while back. It's how I painted my Acrolite. (pics in sig), and should work for you as well.

well ill try to complete a step by step instruction on this, but i am sure that ill leave something out.

1-remove all hardware so you have a blank shell (with the exception of the badge if youd like to keep it..more on this later)

2-use about a 220 grit sand paper and go all around the shell sanding over it thoroughly.

3-if there are any scratches on the shell, you may need to feather the scratch out. to feather something out, you will need to start sanding at the edges of the scratch and pulling away from it, fading it in to the outter parts. the fade needs to be at least twice to three times greater than the original spot. you will be able to tell when the scratch is gone, by feeling it. where before, you could feel a rough spot on the shell, it will now be smooth.

4-your drum, like mine, has a roll in the middle. make sure you get in the crease between the flat shell and the begining of the roll. to do this, fold the sand paper in half, to make it stronger, and then use the folded edge to sand it.

5-repeat steps 2-4 with a finer grit sand paper, such as 320 or even finer if you'd like.

6-step 6 will probably require a trip to town for supplies. you will need a sheet of poster board or two larger than your drum. primer (doesnt have to be in the same color family, but it is prefered), a tack cloth, and some masking tape. the hardware store/paint shop should be able to help you with any questions you may have about this.

7-tape up the holes on the inside of the drum were the hardware attatches to the shell, to prevent the paint from getting inside your drum.

8-lay the drum flat on the poster board, and trace around the drums perimeter with a pencil, pen, or marker. cut the circle out of the posterboard and fit it inside the shell, snug against the lip of the bearing edge. this will allow you to paint the bearing edges without getting overspray on the inside of the drum.

9-repeat step 8 with the second sheet of poster board, and place it inside the drum against the other bearing edge.

10-clean the drum with a soft rag to get rid of any trash that maybe on it.

11-take the tack cloth and place it in the palm of your hand. lay your hand down on the drum so your fingers will be pointing to where the heads should be. the position of your fingers is important. if you have the horizontal with the drum, you will be able to see where your fingers were applying forced to the drum.

12-when tacking the drum, do not apply alot of pressure. it should just be enough to make the tack cloth stick to your hand when rubbing the drum.

13-if you would like to keep the badge on your drum, tape over the badge, making sure to overlap the layers of tape, to ensure no overspray gets on it. now using a razor blade, cut the tape out from around the badge. you should be left with no tape anywhere except for on the badge. this will most likey be aggrivating to get it just right

14-now its time to apply primer. follow the directions on the can. evenly coat the drum with the primer, and let dry for suggested time.

15-after drying, sand shell with fine grit sand paper, once again smoothing out the shell.

16-if you wish to add a stripe or some other pattern to the drum, send me another pm, or message me on aim. I am only skipping this part, because it requires several more steps and could be fustrating for you. I know it was for me.

17-now its down to the last lap. I used just regurlar spray paint to do my acrolite. pick out the color you want, and follow directions on can.

18-let paint dru for suggested time

19-carefully and slowly remove the tape and poster board from the drum, watching closely to make sure the removing proccess isnt peeling the paint off from the drum.

20- reassemble the drum, and have fun

If you have any questions PM me, send me a message on myspace, or IM me on AIM. I am looking forward to seeing this drum. make sure you post pictures
    Yes, as you said, I'm thinking about adding some graphics to the shell. How do I do it? Thanks a lot for your help.

9. Tama Artist

And another question, man... What exactly is the tack cloth for?

10. As Seen On TV

To do a stripe, or star or other graphic use spray paint to paint the general area of where you would like the graphic to be. Then tape up the actual shape of the graphic. Like with my acrolite, I sprayed the white stripe, and then taped over where I wanted the stripe to be. Then I sprayed the black over it.

Next, carefully peel of the tape. BE SURE TO GIVE ENOUGH DRYING TIME!

I also forgot to mention clear coating. As I did not do this with my acrolite, I dont know too much about it. There are many threads that will mention clear coating. You may also want to ask jesse from epiarch about this, as he will probably have the most experience in this area.

Basically all the tack cloth does is remove the smaller left over particles of dust and dirt. This process can be skipped, but I would include this. When I worked in a body shop, we would tack the cars 4 or 5 times before painting. Obviously a snare drum isnt as big of a project as a car, but once the dust particle falls off, the paint will be more likey to chip.

11. Tama Artist

Where can I see pics of your snare??? Thanks again, man.
    And BTW, I saw your MySpace. Was that you on the drums and keyboards? I couldn't stop laughing with that video (in a good way)...

12. Tama Artist

Quote Originally Posted by drumonthebrain
    To do a stripe, or star or other graphic use spray paint to paint the general area of where you would like the graphic to be. Then tape up the actual shape of the graphic. Like with my acrolite, I sprayed the white stripe, and then taped over where I wanted the stripe to be. Then I sprayed the black over it.
    Mhhhh, I think I'd leave that job to a pro. I was thinking about doing an ECG around the snare... so I think taping up such an intricate design wouldn't be really easy for me
    Attached Images Attached Images