Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Exclamation Pacific by DW CX/LX Series ???

HELP PLEASE! Has anyone played the Pacific CX or LX all Maple kits? Do the LX(laquer finishes) sound better than the CX(wrapped finishes)? I know DW is quality but im not real sure about the Pacific line. I'm on budget . Bettween the Pearl Export Select Fusion, Mapex, Pro M or Pacific CX/LX???? WHICH ONE??

2. Registered User

I looked seriously at them before I went with Export. They sounded pretty good, but the tom mounting system seemed cheap and poorly designed to me. I've also heard that they have trouble getting and staying in round.

For the money, I prefered Pearl and Mapex.
    Pearl Session Custom (22x18, 10, 12, 14, 16)
    Snares: Ludwig Bronze 14x5, Pearl MMX 14x6.5, Smitty Smith 14x4 Copper, Ultracast 14x5
    Cymbals: Sabian HH, HHX, AAX and
    Zildjian K, K Custom and K/Z
    Aquarian heads
    DW 5000 pedals
    Audix D series & Shure mics
    SKB cases, Chevy Truck & loads of funk

3. Registered User

Thanks for the input. Hardball, what do mean be "staying round"? (the rims/drum staying round?) Anyone esle played/own a set of Pacific CX or LX?? THANKS!

4. Moderator

I have played both the CX and LX and i could hear no difference. A proper wrap job will generally have zero effect on noticeable sound.

5. Registered User

Originally posted by dcsports413
    Thanks for the input. Hardball, what do mean be "staying round"? (the rims/drum staying round?) Anyone esle played/own a set of Pacific CX or LX?? THANKS!
    I'd read (perhaps in the Pearl forum) that someone has trouble getting heads & rims on because the shells weren't quite round.

The dealer told me these drums are made in Mexico, which is how they cut the price on them below others which are made in Taiwan or other Asian countries.

Since this is merely hearsay, take it for what it's worth. Choosing drums is like choosing a mate, just easier to return.
    Pearl Session Custom (22x18, 10, 12, 14, 16)
    Snares: Ludwig Bronze 14x5, Pearl MMX 14x6.5, Smitty Smith 14x4 Copper, Ultracast 14x5
    Cymbals: Sabian HH, HHX, AAX and
    Zildjian K, K Custom and K/Z
    Aquarian heads
    DW 5000 pedals
    Audix D series & Shure mics
    SKB cases, Chevy Truck & loads of funk

6. Moderator

The drums are in fact made in Mexico, that is true. As for being out of round, i have never seen that personally, but it could happen to any brand of shell. They will stand behind there product so if it does happen, i would not worry about them making it right.

7. Registered User

Since this is merely hearsay, take it for what it's worth. Choosing drums is like choosing a mate, just easier to return.
    LOL! This is very true. Thanks guys for all the input, I will be heading to the shop tomorrow and hopefully bring home a kit!

8. Tama/Paiste

Originally posted by dcsports413

LOL! This is very true. Thanks guys for all the input, I will be heading to the shop tomorrow and hopefully bring home a kit!
    Sounsd Awsome!

9. Registered User

I have a CX in white onyx and in absolute love with these drums. I have had everything from Exports to Masters. These drums when tuned right sound absolutely amazing and this is with the stock heads. I work so much I still haven't got everything set up the way I like it but it's getting there. I would definatley get the Pacifics over the Exports. Just make sure you either get the CX or the LX. By the way if you are wanting the laqured finish check out Pacifics website. They have a few new colors. One being amber which looks sweet! Below is a pic of my kit in the setup phase.
    Bowlsie

Drummers do it in rythym :)

10. Registered User

I did end up getting the pacific CX kit in blue onyx up this weekend at FORKS drum closet in Nashville, TN!! (anyone heard of this shop) These drums sound amazing. I only replaced the bass batter head(powerstroke 3) and the snare head. The toms sound really good with stock heads. I also got a mix of AA and AAX cymbals which are really nice also. Anyone thinking about this kit should buy it. I think they sound better than some Sessions I played, thats just my opinon. You also can't beat the price for a 8ply all Maple kit ($799.99)! Thanks guys.

11. Registered User

Glad you got it man. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Killer kit for the $$$$ We will let all the non believers out there keep thinking what they want to about these kits. More for us
    Bowlsie

Drummers do it in rythym :)

12. Registered User

pearl ... just thought someone had to say it..
    *emo