16,18 floor toms
    22 bass drum

He also uses double headed DWs in the studio,same sizes

3. Drummer/Audio tech

Double-headed?
    What's that?
    May the Force be with you.

4. used user

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

It's not a 22 BD it's a 14x20. The toms are concert toms, snare is N&C, but the size is 3.5x14.
    Cymbals are Sabian 20 HH chinese, 20 HH med crash, 21 HH raw bell ride, 17 HH extra thin crash, 16 HH med thin crash, 22 HH chinese 15 hats. He used to use a Zildjian 20" swish knocker.
    The BD pedal is a Ludwig Speed king. Hi Hat- Slingerland.
    Heads are coated abassadoe on snare, diplomats on 5.5x8 & 6.5x10 clear ambassadors on 8x12, 12x15, and 16x16 & 18x18 toms/floor toms coated ambassadors BD batter, and he does not endorse DW.
    He is strickly a Gretsch kit player.
    Clockwork, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been an enormous fan of Phil for many years and I've never heard of him playing DW.

5. hoi :-)

Default Re: Phil Collins snare

Originally posted by baterax
    Anybody know this?
    Whole kit if possible
    Do not forget to buy a compressor and an effects unit with a gated reverb.

An acoustic snare will never sound the same as the snare sound you hear on lots of tracks with drumming from mr Phil.

6. ClockworkOrange

Originally posted by Marc Hughes
    It's not a 22 BD it's a 14x20. The toms are concert toms, snare is N&C, but the size is 3.5x14.
    Cymbals are Sabian 20 HH chinese, 20 HH med crash, 21 HH raw bell ride, 17 HH extra thin crash, 16 HH med thin crash, 22 HH chinese 15 hats. He used to use a Zildjian 20" swish knocker.
    The BD pedal is a Ludwig Speed king. Hi Hat- Slingerland.
    Heads are coated abassadoe on snare, diplomats on 5.5x8 & 6.5x10 clear ambassadors on 8x12, 12x15, and 16x16 & 18x18 toms/floor toms coated ambassadors BD batter, and he does not endorse DW.
    He is strickly a Gretsch kit player.
    Clockwork, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been an enormous fan of Phil for many years and I've never heard of him playing DW.
    Mark, I may be wrong on the bass drum size,if Gretsch use 10 lugs on their 20 inchers(check out his White Gretsch kit,used in their promo ad),I thought they only put them on 22s.

He may have a piccolo N+C(which is actually 3 7/8ths),but,when I saw him last he was using a 5" N+C.In the aforementioned promo ad,he's using a white Gretsch 6.5 or 7".

On the Queen's Jubilee Concert he actually used his old Premier kit.

Recently,on the TV series Classic Albums,they showed him in his studio in Switzerland,behind a Black DW kit that were double headed.

7. Registered User

Yeah I saw that tv show too.It was kinda cool to see him play along with that old roland drum machine.Did you hear that Phil went deaf?I guess his hearing comes and goes.

8. used user

He doesn't do the heavy gated reverb thing anymore. That was an idea back in the day the Peter Gabriel came up with for his, Peter's, Intruder album. It became a trademark of Phil's for years, but ever since Both Sides of the Story, he hasn't used that effect in the studio.

As for the Premeir kit and the DW, I don't know. He's even said for many many years and per his interviews he's always played Gretsch. Maybe at the Queen's jubilee he played what was provided for him. I've seen this on rare occasions with different bands.

As far as his deafness is concerned, he got very ill about 2 years ago and went deaf in one ear. It took a while for him to finish his latest project and he can't tour because of tuning problems when he sings. He has regained a little bit so we'll see what happens.

The ad with his white kit is an old and. He uses a black stain finish kit with a smaller bass drum noted previously and the smaller sized snare.

9. used user

Phil also may have changes his snare size for hig big band project. I'm not sure if he did, but that could have been what you saw too, regarding his snare drum size.
    For the big band project his Gretsch kit were equipped with standard toms, not the single headed concert toms he uses for his rock/pop shows.

10. Not so new anymore....

He doesn't do the heavy gated reverb thing anymore. That was an idea back in the day the Peter Gabriel came up with for his, Peter's, Intruder album. It became a trademark of Phil's for years, but ever since Both Sides of the Story, he hasn't used that effect in the studio.

As for the Premeir kit and the DW, I don't know. He's even said for many many years and per his interviews he's always played Gretsch. Maybe at the Queen's jubilee he played what was provided for him. I've seen this on rare occasions with different bands.

As far as his deafness is concerned, he got very ill about 2 years ago and went deaf in one ear. It took a while for him to finish his latest project and he can't tour because of tuning problems when he sings. He has regained a little bit so we'll see what happens.

The ad with his white kit is an old and. He uses a black stain finish kit with a smaller bass drum noted previously and the smaller sized snare.
    I'm not that familiar with studio techniques. What did the gated reverb effect contribute to Phil's sound? Is it what makes his toms sound like they do?

If so, he must use it live too because his drums sound like that on the live Genesis stuff too (3 Sides Live, The Way We Walk, etc.). I just thought it was the signature sound of the drums he was using?

11. ClockworkOrange

The Premiers were his.They were his old Genesis drums,before he went with the Ludwigs.It was funny,he taped up the P logos and put a Gretsch logo drumhead on for a batter.........

12. used user

I don't think that's the case. If you can show me confirmation of that, I'll stand corrected. I can give you 2 other examples off the top of my head for why I believe it was the kit provided to him:

American Music Awards- Genesis performs No Son of Mine. Chester Thompson is playing a basic 5pc. Ludwig kit. Chester is not endorsed nor does he use Ludwig. It turns out they did this due to time constraints and easibility, they gave him that one to use and every other group performing that night used the same kit.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- The video Give it away shows Chad Smith playing a Ludwig kit. He is endorsed by Pearl. What happened? The filming crew did not want to deal with him bringing in his kit, so they rented a kit from the local music store.

Phil's has several kits now. To my knowledge (except for the TV thing when he is playing a DW, which I can't explain) they are all Grestch not Ludwig. I ask you, why would he be playing as you say "his old Premier kit" when he can play any newer kit that he owns? I think there were time constraints in planning. Phil was currently finishing up his solo project in Switzerland (he does not live in Britain anymore) and he was getting ready to do a Disney project as well. He publicly stated this on various interviews VH-1, Entertainment Tonight,,etc.