Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Rack-Mounting Tama Octobans...Need help!

I have a set of four hi-pitched Tama Octobans that I currently have mounted on a Gibraltar rack. When I bought them, they came with a Tama Stilt stand. I removed the upper section from the tri-pod base and mounted the Octobans on my rack using only the upper section/tube.
    My problem is this: Using the mount that was supplied with the Octobans, the drums can only be mounted by placing two of them above the other two. Like this:
    I want to mount them all in a straight line, a la Portnoy. Like this: 0000.
    I need two separate tubes/mounts that will allow me to set up the Octobans in this manner. I've looked on the Tama web-site and it lists two product numbers for mounting two Octobans: HOW29W is the # for the two-set Octoban stand. I don't need the complete stand, just the upper tube section to mount into my rack clamp. OA29 is the # listed for what they call an "Octoban holder for two pieces". I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that this is what I need. Two of them, none-the-less. Unless I missed something, the web-site does not list details about the holder. Is it only the upper tube/mount of the complete stand? If so, how long is the tube? My Octobans are fairly old. I have no idea if the mounting bracket (the part attached to the drum) has changed over the years. If newer models are mounted via L-rods, I'm out of luck. If the brackets are the same as they were several years ago, I should be able to find a mount that I can use.
    I'd appreciate help from anyone who has information on these stands/mounts. Like I said, I can't seem to find details on Tama's site, nor can I find a customer service e-mail address.
    Thanks and sorry about the long and boring thread!
    Bill F.
    Last edited by bill f; 05-22-2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: addition

2. Registered User

I'll post photos in a bit to show you what I currently have. Maybe then someone can tell me if what I need is actually available.

3. Registered User

Photo #1: How they are currently set up
    Photo #2: How I'd like to set them up
    Attached Images Attached Images   

4. Registered User

Views of the Octoban "holder".
    The length of the vertical tube from tilter to the very bottom is 13". I need something at least that long. Actually, I cut mine down a bit to shorten it. I don't remember the original length.
    Last edited by bill f; 05-23-2007 at 09:30 AM. Reason: addition

5. Registered User

Octoban tom bracket. I need something that will attach to this bracket.

6. Drummin' 4 Decades..

Bill - can you post a close up of how the Octoban actually mounts to the post? I think you might be able to get away using a Gibraltar tom arm holder, but I need to see the mount in better detail.

7. Drummin' 4 Decades..

And it might help if I was actually more patient.....

Those **** proprietary Tama mounts sure pose a challenge. I actually think I have an old Slingerland squared tom mount that would work, but I don't know anything contemporary off the top of my head.

8. Drummin' 4 Decades..

Is ISS mounting an option?

What about something wacky with the upper half on an Optimount holding two separate Octabans, something like a chain below

Octabon - Optimount - Octabon - Optimount - Octabon - Optimount - Octabon

Just a thought.....

9. Registered User

It's difficult to tell whether the stands on Tama's web-site are the same as mine. Their pictures are of the drums already mounted on the stand. They don't show the brackets or just a "naked" picture of the stand or holders. As a matter of fact, the only pictures I could find are of the complete stand with the tri-pod base. No pictures of the OA29 "holders" that I could find.

10. SUPREME MODULATOR

Those are standard "concert-tom" mounts, and though very popular from the late 60's through early 80's, will still be available today. Check with Ludwig-Musser first...or any retailer specializing in marching and orchestral percussion.

11. Sinister Exaggerator

Ludwig had clip mounts back in the day, I mounted my 8 and 10 on a clip stand, but I sold it...

12. Registered User

[QUOTE=andyman1970]Is ISS mounting an option?

I don't think so. I'm not even sure if there is a model of I.S.S. Mounts made to fit 6" hoops. Even if there was, I doubt that they'd fit the Octoban hoops. Plus, I'd have to buy the I.S.S. Mounts, new tom arms that probably wouldn't be long enough, and possibly new hoops. Not worth the trouble. Thanks for the ideas, though.