Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Boss DR-3 or Alesis SR-16

Thinking of adding a drum machine to practice with instead of a metronome. Tried the Tama Rhythm Watch, but it was too annoying to listen to.

I did a search of the forums and didn't see a head to head matchup. So, which machine is the better unit for practice purposes? They can both be reasonable to pick up on Ebay, so cost is not an issue.

Let me know your experience with these units and the pros/cons.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

2. Bronx NY, and West Palm Beach

I dont know much about the Boss, but Ive had 2 SR-16's since they came out in 1992, and theyre perfect as a practice/teaching tool.

The sounds are very good, not perfect, of course, but its an easy to use and program machine, and Ive never had a mechanical problem with both of mine.

3. Registered User

Do either of these models have a headphone output. I can't tell from the description.

Thanks,

Roger

4. Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!

I've used the SR-16 too and found it easy to use and a great practice/teaching device.
    It does not have a regular "headphone" outlet-- you need some sort of amp for it. I bought a small cheap headphone amp for guitar players that runs on a 9V battery, and it works fine.
    Confucious say: man who stand on toilet is high on pot.

5. Angry Wombat

I too have the SR-16 great little tool.
    2006 Pearl Masters BRX Black Sparkle :D
    8x7
    10x8
    12x10
    14x12
    16x14
    22x18
    14x5 Chad Smith
    14x8 Maple "Punisher" custom snare

MY KIT

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=171084

6. Registered User

I had an SR-16 and it was a great little machine. I just picked up a Boss metronome recently and it is very easy to use, and does have a headphone jack. But if you don't like the Tama metronome I think a drum machine might be the way for you to go.

7. immature adult

I have never used the Alesis, but I'm sure it is really good. I am a HUGE Roland fan, so I would be inclined to say the Boss, but in all honesty, when I worked at a drum store for 3 years, I tried out a bunch, and I honestly have to say that the ZOOM is not only the most user-friendly, but it sounds REALLY good, and is as easily programmable. You can move the beat up in increments of 1 bpm, and the layout of the keypad just plain RULES!!! Check it out!!!!
    EPEK bubinga stave signiature kit, Zildjian, Istanbul, Alchemy cymbals... Gibraltar V-rack system, Iron Cobra pedals

Every 11 year old student of mine uses their foot on the hi-hats.