Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. hit em' hard

Quote Originally Posted by random hero
    You honestly think tommy igoe thinks pdp's sound better then dw's what about the rev, and longui whatever parsons, brooks wakermen. They play what pays good.
    longineu, fool

2. The Fight Revisited.

Great thread. It hasn't derailed too bad...yet.

This is the best time to buy an intermediate drum set. They all are really nice kits, each blurring the line between beginner and pro level quality. The thought of an all maple or all birch kit for under $1000 was absurd no less than 10 years ago, yet now every major drum brand has focused most of their efforts on semi-pro and beginner kits.

That being said there are a few things that I'd still like to see from ALL intermediate kits.

1. 20 lugs on kick drums. It can't be THAT much more to add 4 lugs. It makes the drum look so much nicer too. This goes for 22" kicks, since those that do offer 24" kicks already have 20 lugs.

2. More variety in colors. YES there are lots of pretty colors (and some not so pretty), but several look alike, especially when photographed. EXAMPLE: The new 2007 Pro M color chart has 15 choices, but 4 of them are some form of brownish/orange/red fade. (Red Wood, Tobacco, Caramel, and Cherry fades look almost identical).

Also why are WHITE DRUMS extinct? I think it's time to bring that one back! Each series should offer at least one classic black or white option. So what if it's a wrap? Mapex didn't have to divide the Pro M series into separate wrapped and lacquer series.

3. More configurations involving actual floor toms. 14" hanging tom does not suffice! I can never get a deep enough sound for rock, and isn't that what most kids are playing these days? How many pro endorsers do you see rocking that 11x14 floor tom?

It's really hard to pick a favorite, but infinitely fun at the same time. I'm a little bit older than most on here (almost 25) so my tastes are different. I've also developed a more refined ear, I know what to listen for now. I never though I would lust for a Gretsch Catalina Birch more than a custom DW. Those drums really blew me away.

I'm also a huge fan of the M Birch and Pro M from Mapex. Mapex more than any brand has IMHO lead the pack in the intermediate class in quality and value. They offer the best selection of colors, configuration prepacks, and component drums. Not to mention all the FREE gear. Everybody is going nuts about Mapex. Good for them.

That's my .02 worth.
    Current kit - Pearl VBX Ruby Fade Outdoors
    All my previous kits - Here

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by andyvan
    1599 for a m-birch, where you buying from. i was quoted like 1300 for one and 1800 for the PRO M studio set up. probably should look around more.
    Wow that's real good. Any chance you could tell me where you got this offer?
    There's a chain music store that sells them for $1499/$1649 respectively, but the models are a few years old so nothing newer there (the Pro-M is the maple/basswood version).
    The shop I am looking at has the M-Birch for $1599 and the Pro-M for $1999. I'm already considering these but I don't know maybe I can get a better deal.

Oh and BTW are Yamaha SCAs more expensive than an M-Birch in the US of A? Here it's like $500 cheaper

Thanks
    Cel

4. I am a sleeping bag monster!

I'd like to see some more custom sizes on intermediate kits. I know it's not gonna happen, but I'm just severely lusting after a 20x20 kick, which (to the extent of my knowledge) is not contained in any intermediate lines.
    Tama | Yamaha | Zildjian | Remo | Promark

Quote Originally Posted by the_peripheral
    Women can't be the best at anything. That's physically impossible.

5. Helio)))sophist

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_Campaign
    i always thought the Export was beginner and Session was intermediate.

i thought it went Forum (initial), Export (beginner), Session (intermediate), Masters (pro) and masterworks (custom pro).
    but sessions don't really exist anymore do they?

6. Drummer for Asyria

Quote Originally Posted by Feck_Campaign
    i always thought the Export was beginner and Session was intermediate.

i thought it went Forum (initial), Export (beginner), Session (intermediate), Masters (pro) and masterworks (custom pro).
    considering the old exports cost the same as an m-birch and the forums are a lot cheaper i would consider EX, ELX and EXR kits to be intermediate, along with the new ECX.
    I used to use this forum for quite a long time, took a break from 2010-late 2012. Hoping to be more active again!

7. Liar

Wow that's real good. Any chance you could tell me where you got this offer?
    There's a chain music store that sells them for $1499/$1649 respectively, but the models are a few years old so nothing newer there (the Pro-M is the maple/basswood version).
    The shop I am looking at has the M-Birch for $1599 and the Pro-M for $1999. I'm already considering these but I don't know maybe I can get a better deal.

Oh and BTW are Yamaha SCAs more expensive than an M-Birch in the US of A? Here it's like $500 cheaper

END QUOTE

Yeah um i got the quote from billy hyde derringers. That is an independent store of billy hyde, but i dont think the billy hyde chain sells mapex. and from allans music i was quoted 2100 rrp. but i guess you could talk them down with cash. I live in adelaide so i have a massive choice of a billy hyde shop or an independent billy hyde shop. the rest of the music shops will not go under their marked price, which is usually the rrp of the product. have a look on the allans music site i think they have cheap deals on there.

Here is the price for a pro m 22" 5pc fusion. 1650 here
    Last edited by andyvan; 02-19-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Found a price for a Pro-m
    THE GREATEST LOVERS WERE MURDERERS FIRST
    Check my Blog http://drumbuilding.wordpress.com/

8. Liar

I would love the ability to change drums in the packages for little or no extra cost. It was going to cost me an extra 1500 to change a kick drum in a package when it cost like 800 by itself. thats wrong

9. Drummer for Asyria

I would love the ability to change drums in the packages for little or no extra cost. It was going to cost me an extra 1500 to change a kick drum in a package when it cost like 800 by itself. thats wrong

thats one of the reasons i like Mapex because they have configurations to meet everyones needs.
    I used to use this forum for quite a long time, took a break from 2010-late 2012. Hoping to be more active again!

10. Liar

HAHAHA that was mapex. Im still going with a mapex pro m but i just decided that i would take the tom mount off the kick (22x18) rather than go for the virgin 22x20.

Thats another thing i would love to see on all kits, virgin kicks for no extra cost really it should be cheaper because less work goes into it.

Also andjustice4all one thing you should add to the reviews is what type of heads each kit comes with, because thats also a pretty important part, to know if you also have to fork out the money for new heads straight away.

11. Drummer for Asyria

HAHAHA that was mapex. Im still going with a mapex pro m but i just decided that i would take the tom mount off the kick (22x18) rather than go for the virgin 22x20.

Thats another thing i would love to see on all kits, virgin kicks for no extra cost really it should be cheaper because less work goes into it.

Also andjustice4all one thing you should add to the reviews is what type of heads each kit comes with, because thats also a pretty important part, to know if you also have to fork out the money for new heads straight away.
    i was thinking about it but i figured most stock heads need replaced anyways so i didnt think many people would care. its also really easy to get drums to sound good with any heads...its called good tuning

12. Liar

yeah tuning is it, but i have noticed that some kits, for instance pearl come with (what i would call) inferior heads and others come with decent heads. like the gretsch (at least in australia) come with evans heads and then like yamaha and mapex come with remo (but i think these are the ones made in tiawan, which imo are no where near as good as the american made heads) But you have to admit that there is a massive difference in tuning a $5 (powerbeat) head in comparison to a $40 (remo) head.