Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default rack tom/snare buzz

When i hit the tom closest to my snare it makes the snare buzz. The same thing happens when i hit my bass drum. Does anyone else have this problem? I was told that i should just put up with it and that it's normal....i mean, i can get rid of it, but then i'm not happy with the response i get from my snare (it's dead). What do you guys do?
    "Hello my name is Adam, and I have a drum problem."

2. Xstraight edgeX

http://paidpromotion.com/promo.php?username=wakizashi

take the little tabbies off band-aids and put them under the snare where all the wires connect (that metal thing)

and the bass will always do it...in fact the bass sounds bad without the buzz
    http://paidpromotion.com/promo.php?username=wakizashi

everytime you click there i earn money.....you can too!

3. Registered User

What you are dealing with is sympathetic vibration. In other words your snare, first tom and kick are all tuned to the same fundamental note. Because of this whenever you strike your first tom or kick the snare wires are vibrating sympathetically. If you absolutely love the way your snare sounds then try slightly altering the tuning of the first rack and the kick. While you'll never completely do away with sympathetic snare vibration you can reduce it to a minimum. I hope this helps.

4. Sabian crash test dummy

So many post's on this problem...
    If all the drums are "buzzing" the snare a little, live with it, it's normal. If one tom or the bass is causing it noticably more than the others it is probably in the tuning. It can be in either the reso head or the batter head, or both, as often as not it will be in the reso. If all the drums buzz the snare a lot, the tuning problem is in the snare. I have found that if my kit is well tuned, the effect on the snare will be the same no matter which tom I hit, the effect should be very slight but some sympathetic buzz is normal. Assuming the toms and bass are well tuned, if my reso head on the snare is to tight, hitting the toms will buzz the snare worse, if it is to loose hitting the snare will ring the toms. There is a fine line between the two.

Some others may have some other good advice for you, I came to this through hours of tuning and retuning the entire kit.
    I hope this is helpfull.
    There are shortcuts you can take, But I feel working on the tuning is well worth the effort.

5. BTE

i use to have problems with that too. i was told it was very normal, but i hated that sound. my floor tom use to cause an earthquake on my snare. i changed the tuning a bit around. still got the sound i wanted. got a bit thicker head for the reso snare side. that helped a lot with the rattle and also the sound i wanted. just mess with your drums, tuneing, positioning, whatever. if you ever play with another instument, or even play to a cd, its barely noticible, if at all.