Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Ultrasound snare wires question

Anybody got any experience with the Pearl Ultrasound graduated tension snare wires? I read about them in the new products section, and they sound like an interesting solution to a little problem I've been having.

I've got a Tama 6.5"x14" Bronze, outfitted with Gibraltar 42-strand wires. In most applications, the sound is really great - kind of wet, but quick - if that makes any sense. My only complaint is that the response seems to die at lower volumes; a soft stroke just doesn't seem to activate the snares. Wish I could have my sound all across the dynamic spectrum.

The Ultrasounds come in three shapes - I (all snares evenly distanced - pretty much what I've got now with my Gibraltars), C (snares are longer and looser in the center, and get shorter and tighter, toward the outside), and D (the opposite of C). Which way should I go?

Also, anybody got an idea what these things might retail for?

2. Registered User

The narrowest spot in the Americas, near the Path Between the Seas

A few months ago (maybe a year), Modern Drummer reviewed the Ultrasound Snare Wires. I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that they said C was the one which seemed to be suitable for most situations. If you can track it down, please let me know (to see if my memory has finally abandoned me!).

Pearl Masterworks, Burgundy Mist, Gold Hardware

16 X 22 Bass Drum
    8X10, 9X12 Rack Toms
    11X14, 13X16 Suspended Toms
    5.5x14 Snare
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Remo Heads
    Vic Firth Sticks
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal and H-2000 Hi Hat Stand
    ICON Rack

Pics of my MW here!!

3. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Phil
    The Ultrasounds come in three shapes - I (all snares evenly distanced - pretty much what I've got now with my Gibraltars), C (snares are longer and looser in the center, and get shorter and tighter, toward the outside), and D (the opposite of C). Which way should I go?
    I use the "C" type for my 14"x6.5" Brass Sensitone. I believe Pearl recommends the "C" type for metal snare drums. It reduces the noise caused by the snares from sympathetic vibrations a bit. But I noticed the sensitivity greatly increased from the standard Pearl snare wires I had on there before. Ghost notes sound so much better now. The wires seem to respond to dynamic playing a lot better.

I would recommend these snares if you are looking into new snare wires for your drum... they really bring out a nice sound from mine.

4. Registered User

Thanks for the replies! I think the C shape is the smart way to go, then. Now, if I can just locate a set, I'll give them a shot, and post a review.

5. **** teh Fooking Fookers!!!!!

If you like your 42 strand, Pearl offers 42 strand Ultrasound C shaped wires
    Kit on Order: Masters MHX - 20x18 - 8x7 - 10x8 - 12x8 - 16x13

I've been an air drummer for about all my life, I just recently went pro a few years ago and it's really changed my life around... :rolleyes:

Check out my new band!! Heaven of Bones

6. Registered User

If you're looking to buy online I got mine at http://www.lidrum.com/ . Their search feature doesn't turn up any results... you have to go through and browse through their Pearl parts I believe. It's a pain but they're one of the few places that doesn't require you to make a special order via phone or something that I can find.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Aries07
    If you like your 42 strand, Pearl offers 42 strand Ultrasound C shaped wires
    Cool, Aries - thanks!

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jchertudi
    If you're looking to buy online I got mine at http://www.lidrum.com/ . Their search feature doesn't turn up any results... you have to go through and browse through their Pearl parts I believe. It's a pain but they're one of the few places that doesn't require you to make a special order via phone or something that I can find.
    We have a winner - thanks, jchertudi. Got the page bookmarked. Reasonably priced, too - I'm happy to say.