Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Leaving Drums set up in a cold garage?

The only space in which I can leave musical equipment constantly set up is my garage. Here in the Boston area it can get very cold (and dry) in the winter and my garage isn't heated, so the only thing I could do is leave my drums set up and when I'm actually in the garage turn on an electric heater.

So how bad would that be for my drums? And what would storing the drums in a cold garage in soft Kase drum cases do for them?

The only alternative is moving all the furniture in my family room and setting up my drums Friday night, playing and recording during the weekend and then taking them down Sunday night, but I'm really getting tired of that - most weekends I end up not playing because I don't want to go through the hassle.

Jesse

2. **** teh Fooking Fookers!!!!!

If it's dry, it shouldn't be that bad... I believe you'll be okay...

But YOU think you've got cold winters!?!?!?!?

Come up North my friend, learn what really cold winters mean!
    Kit on Order: Masters MHX - 20x18 - 8x7 - 10x8 - 12x8 - 16x13

I've been an air drummer for about all my life, I just recently went pro a few years ago and it's really changed my life around... :rolleyes:

Check out my new band!! Heaven of Bones

3. The Living Legend

heads are gonna get the most damage.heat and cold messes with heads.i kinda like heat tho it warms up your heads.i did a summer tour thru cali az and nevada and my drums were realy open because of the heat stretching my heads
    Epiarch Artist

My Kit

4. Nobody messes with the Jesus

The best thing you could do would be to insulate your garage door to keep all the heat from escaping and have some sort of heater inside.
    Pearl 2002 ELX Burgundy Mist

22x16 Bass Drum
    14x5.5 Wood Snare
    12x9 Tom
    13x10 Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    DW 7000 Series Double Bass Pedal

5. Registered User

Are you sure your garage is dry?

I say this because the only way I can be sure if my drum-shed is truly dry is by regulating the temperature with a small heater so that I know any moisture is evaporated. That and keeping any draughts out.

You can buy small heaters with timers that will operate every half hour or so... if electricity costs aren't too much of an issue and your garage isn't too big.

Personally I'd be uneasy letting a set of high-quality drums sit in a cold garage. I did it with my export, not with my DW's, and I certainly wont be doing it with my Ref's.

6. drmndave

hmmm, I think keeping it consistently cold would be ok, but bad for you obviously. The drums don't mind the cold if its a gradual change, but if you are heating it up in there every day or few days the shells are going to get a bit irritated (because drums have feelings ).

Also, don't only consider your drums...what about your cymbals. If you are a hard hitter, playing in the cold is a big no-no. My brother has shattered a cymbal in the cold before! ouch!

7. Registered User

Yeh, cymbals are what you need to worry about. Make sure that you're cymbals arn't ice cold when you start playing. I'd say put your heater on for at least a few minutes before you start playing. If you hit a freezing cold cymbal for any amount of time it's probebly going to crack.

8. Registered User

I left my old premier kit setup in a damp garage in New Zealand, it wrecked the chrome on it, and started to make the inside of shells pretty ugly too.
    join me @ http://www.myspace.com/paulpdh2007

Pearl BRX, 19" HH crash 18" HH crash Sabian, Chad smith snare, Vater sticks,

9. Nouveau

Yeah I agree with dead rose, cold cymbals are not good to hit. It's better the garage is cold and dry than cold and damp because that would really kill your drums.

10. Registered User

modern day heads are unaffected by temperature, remos head are military grade protection against heat and cold, and evans is made out of plastic right? does cold plastic break when you hit it? who knows! find out yourself. the shells will probably be okay but your still risking it, but as everyone else says the hardware might start to change and hitting cold cymbals.

11. Bacon Tastes Good.

do you have natural gas to heat your place? I'm in the heating biz and you could buy a gas powered unit heater to heat the garage. you can set it up w/ a thermostat to keep a certain temp so it does not run all day.. .. (it's more efficient to heat the place all the time than to heat it up and let it cool, etc)-- don't know if you're a renter or a homeowner, but this is something maybe the average joe does not know about-- if you want to look at a unit go to reznor.com and look for something call a UDAS model...--- if you do this, try to insulate the garage-- get in touch if you have ????
    DW Performance in Cherry Stain- love it!
    Pearl Masters jellybean kit
    Pearl Ferrone signature 6.5 X 14
    YAMAHA SD-493
    prestige session 9 x 13 wine red tom available-PM me!!