Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Converting Channel Inserts into Direct Outs?

This is really only for recording-savvy members.

So I have a Behringer MX2004 that I got for extremely cheap and too good a deal for me to sell off at this point. So I want to keep the sucker.

The only problem I'm getting is that when I bought it, I thought it had 8 direct outs, but it turns out they're actually channel inserts. I figured I'd try it out with those first. The signal going to my interface is wayyy to hot. Even with the gain all the way down to 0, it still clips. Is this because I'm not using the first-click trick? Since the insert is send and return, tapping the insert will only give me the send, which is what I want. But will this somehow make the gain less?

Also, aside from that quick fix, is there a way to physically convert the channel inserts to direct outs? my inserts are pre-fader and EQ. Is there a way I can tear the thing open, tinker around inside and rig it up so that my channel inserts go post-fader as opposed to pre?

PS. I posted this on an actual recording forum, but people are cooler here.
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

2. Registered User

Doubtful. We suck something fierce, Pronto. You know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi-Inspector
    Kids, always wear protection!

3. Registered User

I can't quite understand what you want to do there, I have found the spec sheet (including block diagram) so if you clear up what you want I may be able to tell you.

4. Absolut Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Snoogans
    I can't quite understand what you want to do there, I have found the spec sheet (including block diagram) so if you clear up what you want I may be able to tell you.
    well he wants a channel insert to behave as a direct out. somehow. thats what i figure anyway.
    I have no drum kit....

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS REALLY COOL?
    SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE!!

DO YOU KNOW WHAT IS AWESOME TO THE MAX?
    MACARONI CHEESE!!!

WHY CAN'T THESE PASTAS JUST GET ALONG???

5. Never forget the groove

I don't know if you can solder around to make a channel insert a direct output.
    As a channel insert is build for effects, I assume the routing within the desk is far different from the direct output. Until you figure how to solder you can always send up to 5 signals seperate at the same time.

Use aux 1 as a pre-fader output and send one or more signals you want through that. Turn down all faders that are sending on aux 1 and use the aux pots to control input levels in your recording gear.
    Send other signals through Alt. 3 and 4 (pan to left for Alt 3 and right for Alt 4).
    All other signals will go through main L and R according to panning.
    You can use effects during recording of course with the 2nd aux and with the channel inserts.

6. LOUD NOISES!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Pronto
    Hmm, I'm on both forums! What am I then? LOL!!

OK I'll cross-post the info here, since I can use embedded images here, unlike the recording forums.

=================

OK pronto, here you go!

Behringer MX2004A inserts to direct out modification.

This mod will convert the inserts into direct outputs that’s signal is post Gain / Equalizer / Fader. But Pre-Mute.

I cannot be held responsible if you ruin your board because of your electronics, mechanical, soldering, or any skill level or any accident. Do this at your own risk.

I cannot guarantee this will work with any other Behringer (or other brand) board.

======================

It’s a pretty simple mod I think…

Ok, take the thing apart with the screws on the sides and bottom (but don’t remove the 2 screws I have pointed out in the pic). Those screws hold the power filtering board, which will stay connected. So you’ll have to hinge the bottom off of the rest of the unit when you pull the bottom up.

Now pull the 16-pin plug from the back daughter board, and put wire jumpers in how you see in the pic. This completes the insert circuit we’re breaking. Use solid-core wire, probably 20 gauge or so.

Now run a wire from the points you see on the pics (the white wires).
    One end of the wire connects directly to the 1/4" jack that is still connected to the daughter board as you see in the pics.
    The other end connects down near the fader (we’re leaching the signal from the Aux send area). Also I should note that I did the Aux send pre-fader mod that is outlined in the Behringer manual. I don’t think this will have an effect on how my mod works. But it may if Behringer did not use a buffer amp for the Aux busses. I’m pretty sure they did though, since the main outputs take the signal from the same place as the block diagram. Not that block diagrams always show everything. But I digress…

Oh wait… there’s nothing to digress to! You’re done!

MMX▄▄masters▄ l i q u i d ♪ a m b e r ▄custom▄▄MMX
    ▄▄sound.creation▄▄2002▄ pAiSTe ▄signature▄▄▄rude▄▄▄

◘◘◘◘◘ What God wants, God gets.... God help us all. ◘◘◘◘◘

7. More IS More

I love seeing circuit board hacks

If you have a 18x16 kick (Export series badge NOT ELX) in color blue mist (#273)
    PM ME

I'm also looking for pc-50s, and CH-80s
    the biggest blue mist export EVER

8. Registered User

A little advice if you do do this, get a multimeter with a short circuit alarm setting and test the areas you've soldered for shorts. Basically you touch the probe between areas that shouldn't be connected and if you hear a beep you've got a short. Its much better to find a problem this way then to turn it on and find it then.

EDIT - shouldn't, I'm always leaving the 'n't' off there.
    Last edited by Snoogans; 06-06-2006 at 07:05 PM.

9. Registered User

thanks man!

I'm confident I can do it myself.... but I just won't. I'm going to get my physical computing proffessor at school to help me out with this... or my brother in law...

but since this allows me to use the faders, I may not have to spend hundreds on getting a new interface.

Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares

10. LOUD NOISES!!

Cool! I think you'll like the outcome.
    MMX▄▄masters▄ l i q u i d ♪ a m b e r ▄custom▄▄MMX
    ▄▄sound.creation▄▄2002▄ pAiSTe ▄signature▄▄▄rude▄▄▄

◘◘◘◘◘ What God wants, God gets.... God help us all. ◘◘◘◘◘

11. Registered User

i think there's one thing i need clarification on..... it's with that 16pin plug and photo #5. what is that pic showing me? where are these jumpers that you put in? what do they connect?

12. Registered User

The jumper are the little red bits of wire at the top, they connect the 2 wires entering the connector together. Basically thats where the low cut switch is connected to what I assume is the EQ circuit.