Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Default Where can I find a gato drum?

I am trying to find a gato drum. Years ago there was a square gato drum that was pretty much available in any music store. I don't see them anymore. Is there a source for these?

Thanks,
    Dirk

2. Registered User

are you sure its not a cajon?

3. Gone by choice!

square as in 4 sides or is it the 8 sided ones?

4. Registered User

It was basically a box (I think the bottom was solid too) with the top being a "slit drum." I was trying to find a photo of one (I saw a photo the other day on-line, but I can't locate it now).

dirk

5. Drum Critic

Default A few years late, but here is some info.

Gato drum, I had someone give me one today and said that they had, had it for about 20 years and never did anything with it. I search the internet for anything about it. Mine says gato drum on the side with a patent pending under it. There is no date or anything but I found a drum very similar to it online.

http://www.mesdirect.com/Content/Fil.../MES/MES26.jpg

this one is shape almost the same other than mine has the corners shave off and is made out of a darker wood. I'm guessing walnut.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=22256228

here is a vid of some guy playing one.

They sound pretty cool you can play them like a bongo where the top three bars are alot lighter sounding and the three bottom bars are alot deeper.

6. Registered User

It looks like a variation on a log drum. Black Swamp, Schlagwerk, and a few others make them.

7. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    I am trying to find a gato drum. Years ago there was a square gato drum that was pretty much available in any music store. I don't see them anymore. Is there a source for these?

Thanks,
    Dirk

Ebay.