Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Remo Pinstripe or Evans EC2?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remo Pinstripe

42 39.25%
  • Evans EC2

65 60.75%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. This is just a tribute

Default Remo Pinstripe or Evans EC2?

Discuss.

I'm interested to see what people have to say on the subject because it pits a time tested favorite (Pinstripe) against a newer head (EC2) with a bit different method of edge control dampening.

(They are also the two I'm trying to decide on for my next set of tom heads.)
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

2. Drum And Drummer

i went into me bass drum (theres a crack in it !), fell asleep (damn pillows in bass drum), and the band put the heads back on!!!! but it has a holz, so i can still type on PDF :)

i wud say clear g2 over clear g1 (but if ya want evans then yeah ec2 are ok)
    remo are ok head to but ive tryed alot and like the g2/g1 combination
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Join A Forum

Tama Pearl Epiarch Remo / Evans Pro Mark Some Cymbals

3. (oYo)

In a Drum. (More like a 55 gallon barrel).

I dont know why Im answering this question because Ive hav'nt tried the ec2's. Ive had pinstripes & liked them quite a bit... But I actualy like the (plain) ebony's. Ebony's do come in a pinstripe though.
    Drum Fund : $107.44

4. Master playing slow tempos.

Why do you ask? What is the playing situation you are about to enter? There are different aspects to consider if you are about to tour or record.

5. This is just a tribute

Ok, a couple of things:

1.) Can we keep the conversation to Pinstripes and EC2s? I have used clear G2s and didn't particularly care for them.

2.) My point in this poll is to try to determine the difference and preference for two heads that on the surface seem to be very similar. G2s and Emperors don't fit in that category because they don't employ and edge dampening system. I want to hear comments based on personal preference and personal experience - I have experience with Pinstripes, but no experience with EC2s.

3.) My playing situation is contemporary Christian rock in an auditorium.

4.) I've used Pinstripes in the past and to date they are probably my favorite head out of the following: Clear G2s, Pinstripes, Performance IIs, Smooth White Emperors
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

6. Master playing slow tempos.

Quote Originally Posted by trickg

3.) My playing situation is contemporary Christian rock in an auditorium.
    In this case I would choose the Evans heads. My reason is because of the more resonant properties of the Evans over the Pinnies. I have used Pinnies in the past, but only when on long tours where replacement heads, lack of time for fine tuning etc have been issues. Pinnies stand up well to being thrown in and out of vans everyday. They tune easily, but of course what you gain in one area you lose in another.

7. ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

i quite like pinstripes, but saying that, i've never tried EC2's
    22x16
    12x9
    14x11
    14x5.5 beverly 21
    14x3.5 premier 2034

8. N7

Try clear emperors, but if you are down to those two id say pinstripes.
    Warning: Bad english may occur.
    SEX, DRUMSN ROCKNROLL!!
    H??

Jeg lukker et ye og ser halvt, jeg lukker begge og ser alt.

9. This is just a tribute

Quote Originally Posted by HEnricko
    Try clear emperors, but if you are down to those two id say pinstripes.
    A head I'm interesting in trying someday is the Emperor Suede, but I'm not sure that Clear Emps are going to get me where I want to go.
    Patrick G.

10. Bassburger

do you play miced or acoustically?
    Must... Hit... Drum...

Quote Originally Posted by FedExPope
    I can count to purple backwards!

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by trickg
    A head I'm interesting in trying someday is the Emperor Suede, but I'm not sure that Clear Emps are going to get me where I want to go.
    Hey, I'm using Suede Ambassadors on my toms right now, and I love them. They have plenty of attack, and the warmth of coated heads. I did have more success tuning them lower rather than higher though. I have the resonant head (clear single ply) tuned medium thight and the batter tuned a bit looser, and I get a nice low end attack from them with a bit of sustain. And unlike other Remo heads, they don't go through the "cracking" proccess (i.e. they sound better faster).

That being said, I'm not really a huge fan of Pinstripes. I had some on my toms awhile back and I couldn't get rid of the "boingy" sound you usually get from clear heads. I sucked at tuning then, though. If you want a fat, warm sound with little to no sustain (depends on if you're mic'ing, I guess), I'd go with the Pinstripes.

12. Registered User

The Ec2s have a wider tuning range. I like them better than pinstripes. Either can be played wide open. I'm trying the EC2s after using clear Emperrors for a long time. Of those two , I haven't decided which I like better.
    www.showtimesoundllc.com

Want a Ludwig Acrolite ? PM me.