Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Registered User

Lightbulb Mallets on Congas

I've seen congas played with soft mallets before, can anyone recommend a mallet for this? 00**

2. Gerry Zaragemca

Welcome,that is interesting where have you seen this approach?.Dr. Zaragemca
    International Club of Percussionists

3. Registered User

Don Henely on The Eagles Farewell tour #1, DVD

4. Gerry Zaragemca

Well this is point,an skill Conguero would develop five,(5),or more strokes from a single instrument,creating a chromatic articulation,for a good interaction with the drum/set and the bass/guitar,but it take time,and a little pain to develop the hard/skin,(callous),which are needed in order to obtain a better sound out of the skin,..that could not be obtain with mallets,or sticks,(not in the original instruments).Dr. Zaragemca
    International Club of Percussionists

5. Registered User

While congas may be traditionally played with hands, there is also a lot of percussion repertoire (multi-percussion pieces) and even concert band literature that requires a congas part played with mallets. For any of these, the stick depends on the kind of sound required. I've seen regular set sticks being used but I recommend covering the striking end in moleskin tape to prolong the life of the head. Otherwise, a yarn or felt (timpani) mallet would also work. Depending on how much you want to spend, Vic Firth and Zildjian both have affordable mallet lines...above that are brands like Innovative Percussion, Malletech, etc.

6. Registered User

milkman hit it on the head!

7. Music=Life

I've been very satisfied with the sound from Vic Firth T3 Staccato timpani mallets when playing on bongos and congas. It takes some experimenting though. The sound you may be looking for can change based on the context of the piece.

8. Master playing slow tempos.

Quote Originally Posted by zack1956
    I've seen congas played with soft mallets before, can anyone recommend a mallet for this? 00**

One can use mallets, brushes, spoons and forks and even sticks and stones on congas, if they provide the desired sounds. Basically, the limit for what one wants to do does not exist.

There are many mallets to choose from. One can use a mallet designed for zabumba, surdo, timpani,....anything. Many Cuban and Brazilian grooves are played with a stick in conjunction with a bare hand. Percussion offers limitless ideas. It is up to you how you choose to express yourself.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JulianFC; 03-20-2006 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Poor spelling

9. Registered User

Milkmans right theres quite alot of music written for mallets on congas...traditionally not so often, but I have seen videos of Carlos "Patato" Valdez play congas with a stick in one hand (he had in his later years some kind of disease so he could play normally, or so I'v heard), and it sounded pretty much the same as playing with out the stick (it looked like a large clave type stick, not a drum stick or mallet, I'm not sure what he used).

I know its not really congas, but Candomble music uses thin bamboo sticks (the kind you use to play Berimbau with) on Atabaques (kind of like a conga, just Brazilian), in both hands or in one hand depending on the rhythm. It all depends on the sound you want to get, what mallet or stick comes after that, or you can just get different ones and see what you like, thats propably the easiest way to find out what you want.
    No purposes, Sounds!

10. Music=Life

Quote Originally Posted by timot
    Milkmans right theres quite alot of music written for mallets on congas...traditionally not so often, but I have seen videos of Carlos "Patato" Valdez play congas with a stick in one hand (he had in his later years some kind of disease so he could play normally, or so I'v heard), and it sounded pretty much the same as playing with out the stick (it looked like a large clave type stick, not a drum stick or mallet, I'm not sure what he used).
    This is actually a very common technique. You can use a regular drum stick on the side. This will damage the side of the drum but that's the sacrifice you make. I use a 7A because it's loud enough but now so thick that you beat the crap out of your conga.

11. I <3 Ludwigs.

I like using timbale sticks for getting more volume out of "hand" percussion. They have no taper or tip and are thinner than 7A's.

12. Registered User

This is actually a very common technique. You can use a regular drum stick on the side. This will damage the side of the drum but that's the sacrifice you make. I use a 7A because it's loud enough but now so thick that you beat the crap out of your conga. [/QUOTE]

yeah, I use the back end of my SD2 Bolero sticks on congas all the time cheers. The fact was that Patato was using something that I didnt recognise, it just looked like an oversized clave ( i mean it was like an inch thick) and it sounded exactly like playing with his hands that amazed me...maybe his other hand was solid wood after 70years of playing or something...hmmm
    No purposes, Sounds!