Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Pearl Professional DLX Series

Can Anyone tell me anything about a Pearl kit called Professional DLX Series? When they were made? Are they any good? I'm about to buy a 6 piece kit but I'd like to know something about them first. Thanx in advance for any info.

2. The Hardware Guy

The History and Evolution of your DLX Professional Series

From Gene Okamoto - Pearl Manager:

The DX 7300 Series (covered finish) and the DLX 7500 Series (lacquered finish) were introduced in 1984 and featured 7 ply shells: birch (outside), mahogany (middle), and lamin (inside) for superb sound with fantastic low-end punch. Priced affordably, they nevertheless featured high-end components such as double braced hardware, SuperHoops, and Pinstripe heads. In 1985, a five-piece DX kit with 22” bass drum and hardware listed for $1650, the 24” bass drum version listed for $1720.

In 1986, the DX/DLX shared the spotlight with a similar but lower priced series, the WX/WLX World Series. In 1987, the DX/DLX were discontinued and replaced by the WX/WLX. In 1992, the WX/WLX became the SLX Prestige Session Elite. In 1994, the SLX became the SPX Prestige Session and SX Session Series. In 1997, the SPX/SX became the SRX Prestige Session Select. In 2001, the SRX Prestige Session Select became the SRX Session Custom. And finally, in 2004, the SRX became the SMX Custom 6 ply maple.

From 1997 to 1998, the DX Session (covered finishes) and DLX Prestige Session (lacquer finishes) made a brief “comeback” and featured 7 ply shells: maple (outside), mahogany (middle), and maple (inside).
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2

3. Registered User

Default The brown one...

Hi there!

I just bought a set of Professional DLXs here in Finland which I'm veryo mucho satisfied with when it comes to the sound of the drums.
    Neither is the quality of the drums in it self bad although the age of the set is somewhat 20 years I think.
    The color of the set is nice laquered brown.

Well the story goes that otherwise all is well but the set (only) has 8x10" and 14x14" toms with the 22" bassdrum.
    Hmm, now I was just wondering that in order to get an extra tom or so of the same exact color maybe I need to know the color code or name of this particular brown?!
    Which in my oppinion read as "call for HELP from this forum!".

Which also brings us to the final question: has anyone any ideas about where to get this extra tom for the Professional DLX set?
    EBay or something?

Eh, and final call to the Pearl staff, keep on kickin those butts!!!

4. Registered User

The brown colur is Walnut I think, though I don't know the code. I have a bigger DLX in wine red, and I'm actually looking to replace it with a smaller DLX in walnut if you're interested?
    In response to the original thread I would like to add that the DX/DLX series of drums are amongst the best I have ever heard, even better sounding than my last 2 Yamaha 9000 kits!! 'Tis true!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Motte
    Hi there!

I just bought a set of Professional DLXs here in Finland which I'm veryo mucho satisfied with when it comes to the sound of the drums.
    Neither is the quality of the drums in it self bad although the age of the set is somewhat 20 years I think.
    The color of the set is nice laquered brown.

Well the story goes that otherwise all is well but the set (only) has 8x10" and 14x14" toms with the 22" bassdrum.
    Hmm, now I was just wondering that in order to get an extra tom or so of the same exact color maybe I need to know the color code or name of this particular brown?!
    Which in my oppinion read as "call for HELP from this forum!".

Which also brings us to the final question: has anyone any ideas about where to get this extra tom for the Professional DLX set?
    EBay or something?

Eh, and final call to the Pearl staff, keep on kickin those butts!!!
    Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Satin Walnut / Dream Bliss 14" hi hats, 22" ride, 22" crash ride.

Atheist Drummers' Army

5. Registered User

Default About the heads...

Thanks dude!

Oh one thing about the heads: I think the DX/DLX stdheads in the 80's were Remo Pinstripes for one reason or another.
    Mine have now Evans G2 on top and G1 below, both transparent.
    Do you think these drums sound most at home when used with somesort of double layer heads as in they were when manufactured regardless of what your playing?
    Do these guys here at Pearl have those old catalogs (1984-85...) electronically saved in pdf-form or something of the sort?

6. Author of "Drum Tuning"

You can get a catalogue HERE
    or here: http://rapidshare.de/users/5EMBT

It's about 8MB, so don't click if you are using an analog modem.

Nils
    Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
    Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
    Main Kit Jazz Kit Setup pics

Church Drummers Army :cool:

7. Registered User

Default !!!

Quote Originally Posted by nils
    You can get a catalogue HERE
    or here: http://rapidshare.de/users/5EMBT

It's about 8MB, so don't click if you are using an analog modem.

Nils
    Thanks dude!
    As a matter of fact I already got just a few minutes ago a copy of the cat85 from Gene Okamoto.
    The colour is #101 called Walnut Laq...
    Over and out!

8. Unregistered user

Very sorry about the bump,but could someone please re-upload the catalogue?

thanks a million!
    Piano Black Pearl DLX

>- Pearl - Sabian - Tama - Remo - ProMark -<

9. Pearl does it for me

Default try this link

Cossie Power

Try here

Scroll down to the Gene Okamoto response

10. Unregistered user

cheers man
    Piano Black Pearl DLX

>- Pearl - Sabian - Tama - Remo - ProMark -<

11. At the Crossroads

Hers a pic of my walnut Laq. DLX from the early 80s. It is by far the best sounding kit Ive ever set behind!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're not Groovin in the Pocket you're just makin noise!

Looking for a MLX 18 inch tom in liquid amber