Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. FatesDivide.Com

Default College Scholarships for drumline?

Do many colleges have scholarships for drumline/percussion? I'd like to at least apply for one, even though Im probably not the cream of the crop, it'd be something to shoot for.

Im DL Captain, can play any-non keyboard percussion (working on changing that), have plenty of experience, and would like to further pursue marching percussion.

I do a lot of other ensembles after Marching band season: Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Percussion Ensemble, and im the #1 percussionist in each ensemble.

I'm performing at Berkelee in Boston next saturday (Feb 11) at the HS Jazz Fest (non competing BOO).

So, think theres any chance I can get some sort of scholarship? Any ideas on how to attract attention from colleges, if there is even a way?
    LEAD DRUMMER for FATES DIVIDE

We are ALWAYS looking to do Show Trades, and support bands any way we can.
    PM Me if you'd like to come play with us in Connecticut!

2. Brett Favre is my hero

I dont know how to attract attention...but a lot of colleges do offer scholarships.

3. TeNorS r' HyPe

yes they do...just go to the websites and poke around a bit....The University I am going to I know offers percussion scholarships (University of Tennessee, Knoxville) Becuase their website specifically states audition dates to be considered for a scholarship. just try poking around see what you find.
    Karns High School Drumline '02-06
    '02-'03 Pit
    '03-'06 Tenors
    2005-2006 Drum Captain
    University of Tennessee Drumline '06 - present. Tenors

Jimbo: Whatcha been up to smeag?
    Smeagol: Ahh not much...just schoolin' the youngster.

Pull out your nine, Rhett!

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby
    yes they do...just go to the websites and poke around a bit....The University I am going to I know offers percussion scholarships (University of Tennessee, Knoxville) Becuase their website specifically states audition dates to be considered for a scholarship. just try poking around see what you find.

But that may be for music majors... not for just drumline. You can recieve a scholorship for percussion if you're a music major but i dont know about drumline... usually not, but i could be wrong.
    CCBD Captain
    '04
    '05

USC WADsquad
    '03 - '05

USC Percussion Studio

Arranger - Verdigris Indoor Percussion
    http://verdigrisindoor.com/

www.ryanjohnsonmusic.com

5. Registered User

Yea, usually music scholarships are handed out to music majors only......I learned this when trying to apply for one. I thought maybe you could get one and be in the band.

6. Registered User

University of Hawaii, give tuition scholorships. If you're really good, you could get a full tuition waiver. It's partial-full.

7. ...has Stanton's hands??

Don't expect a drumline scholarship, even if you are a music major. You can, however, expect drumline to be a requirement for a certain scholarship [i.e. you must participate in the college line to get your money] but don't expect it solely for the line.

If you can't play keyboards, fix it quick or forget about being a percussion major. This may sound harsh, but I suppose that is because it is. If you can't play mallets, most major colleges won't even consider you.
    Those that do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
    -/- Salvador Dali

Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air.
    -/- Tom Waits

drums&heads&cymbals&implements
    Music

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snizare
    Don't expect a drumline scholarship, even if you are a music major. You can, however, expect drumline to be a requirement for a certain scholarship [i.e. you must participate in the college line to get your money] but don't expect it solely for the line.

If you can't play keyboards, fix it quick or forget about being a percussion major. This may sound harsh, but I suppose that is because it is. If you can't play mallets, most major colleges won't even consider you.

Preach it brotha!
    CCBD Captain
    '04
    '05

USC WADsquad
    '03 - '05

USC Percussion Studio

Arranger - Verdigris Indoor Percussion
    http://verdigrisindoor.com/

www.ryanjohnsonmusic.com

9. Music=Life

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCakeMiX
    I'm performing at Berkelee in Boston next saturday (Feb 11) at the HS Jazz Fest (non competing BOO).

So, think theres any chance I can get some sort of scholarship? Any ideas on how to attract attention from colleges, if there is even a way?
    You could get a scholarship for your drum set playing while you're at Berklee. I received a scholarship from them earlier this week but it's not for Marching Percussion.

10. TeNorS r' HyPe

yeah...what they said.
    Karns High School Drumline '02-06
    '02-'03 Pit
    '03-'06 Tenors
    2005-2006 Drum Captain
    University of Tennessee Drumline '06 - present. Tenors

Jimbo: Whatcha been up to smeag?
    Smeagol: Ahh not much...just schoolin' the youngster.

Pull out your nine, Rhett!

11. Registered User

I know in Colorado most of the major universities will pay you a little bit to be part of the marching band. Don't get me wrong, it's not much at all, but they don't require you to be a music major either. Just a thought.

12. FatesDivide.Com

Well, I dont know about a scholarship solely for drumline, Im interested in a Music MINOR, not a major.

Where/How would I apply for a Scholarship while im at Berkelee?
    LEAD DRUMMER for FATES DIVIDE

We are ALWAYS looking to do Show Trades, and support bands any way we can.
    PM Me if you'd like to come play with us in Connecticut!