Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Default Bubinga sound ??

Have you ever heard a Tama Bubinga drum set or any bubinga drum? I wonder what kind of sound they produce? I know, sound is always a personal choice, but I don't want to only trust the Tama description of the bubinga sound !! I would rater like to hear the opinions of people who played these drums.

I have to say that the new Tama Starclassic Bubinga looks awesome! Might get one soon I was thinking of a Mapex Saturn before I saw the new Tama website...

2. Part of the MAPEX MAFIA!

I live in canada. In an igloo. I live in an igloo cuz everyone in canada does. What, you didnt know that? Are you some kind of idiot?

It sounds rather dark, with high overtones.
    REP ME WITH 'Return Please' for 125 rep points!!!

I AM SAVING FOR: I dont know haha, suggestions???

MAPEX MAFIA

3. Kennedy Camden

nick (ANALOGBEAT) and i were checking out the TAMA 8x14 bubinga snare at NAMM. it's something fierce.

4. Registered User

I've heard that it is like a combo of maple and mohag. not sure though.
    New pics of my DW kit.

FOR SALE OR TRADE
    18" AA METAL X CRASH
    21" Z CUSTOM MEGA BELL RIDE
    24" PAISTE 2002 RIDE
    22" PARAGON RIDE

5. You'll never break that chain

I love the look of Bubinga, I would love to hear what it sounds like, I'm heavily contemplating getting a Bubinga Snare.
    Drumming for Benji.

Couldn't let you love me, had to put in the soil,
    Buried it and gave you to the night,
    Didn't see it growing, then you wrapped me in its leaves,
    Just in time for us to be torn asunder.

6. Registered User

I've been a fan of bubinga for a very long time, and I'm ecstatic at the new Starclassic Bubinga series - one of the things I've been wanting for a long time was to see a standard bubinga series - and I was pretty disappointed with the Omni-Tune line came out as I would never buy the drums with those lugs.

My drum teacher has a bubinga kit, and it sounds absolutely amazing. It has basically all the qualities I would want. Bubinga has a very aggressive attack, followed by an amazing deep, rich, fat sustain - very rare to find a wood that has both. The tonal qualities of the wood.. it's very deep, often has a dark touch to the sound.. and very warm, even in the biting attack.

I wouldn't say it sounds like 'maple and mahogany'. I think people just like to deal with woods they know, and perhaps say it has the attack of maple with the warmth and sustain of mahogany. What they would be forgetting is that the actual tone and voice of the wood is totally unique; you're not going to find anything like it. Thus, its sound is hardly a combination of 'maple and mahogany'.

7. Registered User

Thanks Benji for your description of the bubinga sound. I am quite interested in that type of wood, mostly having a drum with a unique tone of voice, but I just wonder why it is not often use in drums if it has all the good qualities that you describe. Is it kind of rare? Probably easier to find birch/maple/mohagony wood, and probably cheaper too.

There is one thing for sure, is that I am going to get one of this set pretty soon. Maybe a wonderful Starclassic exotix 2006 if I get more money...

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Iznogood
    I am quite interested in that type of wood, mostly having a drum with a unique tone of voice, but I just wonder why it is not often use in drums if it has all the good qualities that you describe. Is it kind of rare? Probably easier to find birch/maple/mohagony wood, and probably cheaper too.
    Correct, bubinga is exotic. It's pretty hard to come across ply bubinga shells. You can get basically any exotic wood in stave and segmented kit, but 99% of drummers stay away from such kits for pretty good reasons.

Currently, Tama is the only company that offers ply bubinga drums in standard series. They are also the only one to produce limited edition kits using the wood (the Exotix drums). Sonor were the first to offer bubinga kits, back in the 1970s I believe. Sonor will still make them, but only as special orders. Lastly, Pearl offer a two-ply bubinga veneer on their Masterworks drums, but nothing more than that.

At the mention of the 2006 Exotix kit.. personally I would recommend the new Starclassic Bubinga series. This year's Exotix kit is pretty dull in comparison to what you can get from the new series. Fifteen finishes, three hardware options - and of course, sizes. The Exotix kits are always a stand-alone shell pack over which you have no control. If you go with the Starclassic Bubinga drums, you have five shell depth types to choose from - so it's catering for people who like short stack toms, or really shallow toms - through to Extra Deep, where the drums are actually two inches deeper than they are wide. That range of sizing is very impressive, and unparalleled at this point.

So, it's up to you - but basically, if you go with a Starclassic Bubinga.. it's going to sound just as good, and you've got so many more options over not just the drums themselves, but how they will look also.

9. Part of the MAPEX MAFIA!

I live in canada. In an igloo. I live in an igloo cuz everyone in canada does. What, you didnt know that? Are you some kind of idiot?

buginga is such a tough wood, that it is very hard to get a perfectly rounded shell, so not too many companies choose to deal with it.
    REP ME WITH 'Return Please' for 125 rep points!!!

I AM SAVING FOR: I dont know haha, suggestions???

MAPEX MAFIA

10. Registered User

That's partly true, but the density / hardness of bubinga is hardly a major factor in why few companies deal with bubinga, as every single modern drum company is capable of making perfectly rounded shells out of **** near any wood.

11. Kennedy Camden

does anyone know where to get PLY shells of bubinga?

how about the sonic difference in stave, ply or steambent?

12. Registered User

Even if one does'nt like the Omnitune tuning function, those drums will probably transmit more energy or "resonate" as everybody says these days, more than the Starclassic lug. The tension is canceled out to a huge degree from both ends pulling on each other, IMO.