Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

1. Buy Paiste

Question How to repair crack cymbal?

Hey guysl, as some of you know i have bough my self dome new hats but the have a crack in them about 1 cm in from the edge and it is barely visible, and i want to repair them, what methods do you use?, could i do them at home?, and how long do the last?, pics might help?!
    SONOR ARMY

PAISTE ARMY

STAGG SQUADRON

BIGDOG!

Me Kit

2. Grammar & Spelling Nazi

You can't. If it's cracked, it's cracked.

You can try drilling it, or cutting it out to stop the crack propogating further however.

3. Part of the MAPEX MAFIA!

I live in canada. In an igloo. I live in an igloo cuz everyone in canada does. What, you didnt know that? Are you some kind of idiot?

therea a method floating around here somewhere
    REP ME WITH 'Return Please' for 125 rep points!!!

I AM SAVING FOR: I dont know haha, suggestions???

MAPEX MAFIA

4. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Xanda90
    Hey guysl, as some of you know i have bough my self dome new hats but the have a crack in them about 1 cm in from the edge and it is barely visible, and i want to repair them, what methods do you use?, could i do them at home?, and how long do the last?, pics might help?!
    Any crack is going to get worse the more the cymbal is used. If the crack is vertical to the grain (grooves), from the edge headed to the bell, a small hloe drilled at the end of the crack may help.

If the crack is horizontal to the grain (running around the cymbal with the grooves), inserting a thin file and filing the outside or "concave" edge will make the difference. In either case you want to seperate the broken edges from making contact when the cymbal vibrates. So vertical crack, file either edge, hrizontal crack, file the outside "concave" edge. Drilled holes may or may not do anything, do the filing first, its a must. In some cases (mostly horizontal) the cymbal will respond almost like it has no crack. You need to create space between the broken edges so the metal can move freely. Its a little work, but can lengthen the life and quite possibally save a good cymbal.

I suggest to people to use a heavy felt tip marker and circle the crack after repair, so you can see it easily and reposition the crack on the stand away from stick impacts.
    Last edited by Generatrix; 11-28-2005 at 05:37 PM.

5. Two kicks or nothing!

once you have a crack it is junk, NOTHING you can do to fix it.

6. 3 up & 1 down

Also, when drilling a crack, if you aren't exactly 100% positive where it ends, the drilling will not stop it! Cracks are tricky and sometimes so minute that it can be hard to tell. I would personally just replace the cymbal and maybe make a clock out of the cracked one. lol!
    Vision VSX Strata Black 8x7, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18
    Sensitone Brass 13x5
    Zildjian Cymbals 14in K/Z3 Mstrsnd, 19in K Dark [MT], 17in A [MT], 15in A [T], 20in K Cust Dry
    Custom ICON Compact Rack

7. Hail the Leaf

If its under warranty, don't mess with doing it yourself.. replace it now!
    I had an inch long crack in my 16" ZXT titanium, and drilled a hole through the metal at the apex of the crack... 2 weeks later, it cracked in 2 places PAST the hole.

Luckily Zildjian was way cool enough to replace the cymbal exactly 1 yr. after purchase, only having me pay shipping.
    "Laurie told me how you are at the office.. you know, as one gentleman to another, I really hope you get Lou Gehrig's Disease"

double bass Exports

8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Thundur 06
    If its under warranty, don't mess with doing it yourself.. replace it now!
    I had an inch long crack in my 16" ZXT titanium, and drilled a hole through the metal at the apex of the crack... 2 weeks later, it cracked in 2 places PAST the hole.

Luckily Zildjian was way cool enough to replace the cymbal exactly 1 yr. after purchase, only having me pay shipping.
    Wow... ZIldjian still refunded the cymbal even after you drilled it???
    That surprises me... most times they wont do that...
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaM View Post
    jamfelt is a way of life. it's its own culture.