Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Which snare head combo would you use and why?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aquarian Coated Hi-Impact Batter w/ Aquarian Snare Side

7 58.33%
  • Remo Coated Ambassador Batter w/ Remo Diplomat Snare Side

4 33.33%
  • Other

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Not so new anymore....

Default Aquarian Hi-Energy vs. Remo Ambassador

I have narrowed down my options for new batter/snare heads for my ELX snare. The two choices are:

Aquarian coated Hi-Energy batter with Aquarian Snare Side

or

Remo coated Ambassador with Remo Diplomat Snare Side

Those choices come from what I have read here on the Forum. I like the idea of Aquarian durability, but I'm afraid of the trade-off in sensitivity (that I would get with the Remo, but with less durability).

Also, are there any differences between the Remo and Aquarian Snare side heads?

I'd like to hear your input/opinions/experience on these two heads to give me some direction.

If "other" let me tell me what you use and why!

2. not cool anymore

Do you mean Aquarian Hi-Energy? That's the snare batter head that I swear by. It's a 1 ply head with dot coating on just about the entire head. It maintains the feel of a 1 ply but is as durable as a 2-ply. I personally like the lighter muffling effect and most of all the durability of the Hi-Energy. Ambassadors will give you more ring, but I can never make them last very long. Even tuned up high the center of the head turns to mush. I used the Hi-Energy on a 5x14 Chad Smith and a 5 1/2 x 14 Masters MRX. I found the sensitivity to be excellent at medium to high tunings (where the Hi-energy excels). The same as the Ambassador? No. But not that far off and definitely much better than 2-ply heads. Its the best compromise between sensitivity and durability that I have found from any brand drumhead.

In terms of snare side heads, the Aquarian and Remo are essentially the same. Aquarian makes a "Hi-Performance" snare side that is a regular Ambassador weight but has two "tabs" where the ends of the snare wires lie that prevent the wires from poking thru the head under high tension and heavy playing. The regular Aquarian snare side is fine for most situations - it will sound just like the Ambassador snare side.
    I need nothing but myself and the truth
    -- UTE

3. Moderator

When you say "Hi-Impact" i am guessing you really mean "Hi-Energy" since there is no head called a "Hi-Impact" that i am aware of. If thats what you meant, then...

The Hi-Energy is NOT a coated head and the Coated Ambassador is. So right off the bat, you are going to have a different sound.

Rather then a coating, the Hi-Energy has the equivelant of a giant power dot covering the head. It then has a a power dot in the middle also. This "Sticker" type coating will be less likley to chip like a conventional coating will, however, it is almost like having a double ply head with the exception being they are bonded together unlike say, a Remo Emperor. This will give a very different sound then a Coated Ambassador which is a true, single ply head. A Coated Ambassador will be a 10 mil thick head and will produce an very open, bright and resonant sound with lots of attack. I use MoonGel with them since they are so resonant.

If you compare heads, the Hi-Energy is Aquarians version of the new Remo Emperor X. Both are double ply with a center dot. They are both designed for heavy hitters who normally trash drum heads. Actually, the Emperor X will be even thicker then the Aquarian. Those are the two heads you should be comparing since they are very similar.

As far as Reso side heads, you can use just about anything since durability is not really a concern (Unless of course you are drunk and ply your snare upside down, yes i have seen that happen) I use clear Ambassadors for reso side heads.

My personal opinion regarding drumheads is Remo is only lacking in one department, coatings. They dont last more then a month. To combat this i change my snare batter head every 30 days. However, i have found there heads to be superior in every other aspect from consistency, senstivity, ease of tuning (and holding tune) and durability. In 12 years i have nevery ruptured a Remo head, i have never head a Remo head die and the only time i ever have dented one is when a Zildjian tip flew off and i did'nt notice it.

4. Not so new anymore....

OOOOOOOPPPPS!

Darn, I meant Hi-Energy, not impact. Sorry guys. Can't edit the poll either. Hopefully, as some of you already have, you will get that I meant Hi-Energy.

I guess you can't catch everything on final read-through.

If a Moderator wants to correct my mistake in the poll, that is fine by me. Please do so I don't look like any more of an idiot!

I guess the white stuff on the head is the dot material, not coating. I stand corrected. But I imagine with the dots on it, it would act somewhat like a coated head in terms of muffling?

I didn't want to compare Hi-Energy and Remo X for precisely the what SLIP said, the Remo is heavier. I don't want such a heavy snare head that I loose all sensativity.

Ambassadors for Snare Side heads sounds a bit heavy in my mind. I would lean toward something thinner for my tastes. Maybe you can enlighten me on that too, I'm just used to thinking Snare Side heads were ultra thin.

That ELX snare is one ringy little snare drum, so maybe Aquarian would be a better head for that drum over a more resonant single ply head?

And the Aquarian being designed for tight tuning? That works perfectley for what I want, something I can really crank up and get a nice crisp sound. I'm stretching my ProTone to within it's last breath right now.

I can't argue about Remo's durability, I've had the same success. Aquarian I have never used, so I don't have a history on that durability. I imagine with the way that head is put together though it's gotta be pretty tough.

Good feedback! Keep it coming!

5. Carl Peterson

I play hard..I use Aquarian coated heads,coated black dot(underneath) on snare,superkick on bass..These heads go the EXTRA mile! Test drive a set soon...

6. not cool anymore

NewPearlMan, the Ambassador snare side is a regular weight snare side like the one that came on your Export snare. It is in NO way similar in thickness to a regular ambassador tom or snare head. the ambassador snare side is the thickness you want to start with (a thicker snare side may not sound that great on a 5 1/2" drum and a thinner head will add more ring, which you already said you DON'T want)

Slip, the Hi-Energy is one thick single ply but you got the right message across - all that matters is that the Emperor X is a lot heavier.

Back to NewPearlMan: Yes, the Hi-Energy will cut down on some ring. It is not coated in the regular sense so it will not chip. It works best at high tunings in my experience. I had one on my MRX for over a year and I just can't wear the thing out so durability is not an issue.

I'll shut up for now and hopefully you can get some more opinions from other forum members
    I need nothing but myself and the truth
    -- UTE

7. Not so new anymore....

I like the fact the Aquarian's not coated. I have white marks all over my toms thanks to the coating on the ProTones chipping off onto the sticks.

The drummers posting here are selling Aquarian pretty well, but the remo is winning in the poll. Of coure 2-1 isn't a big margin or anything, but nobody posting has said why the remo is better!

By the way, can I somehow clean the marks off the tom heads? I don't want to change out my roto tom heads so I just want to clean them up a bit.

8. Trogdor comes in the NIIIIGHT!

NewPearlMan,
    I gotta cast another vote for the Aquarian Hi-Energy. I used that
    head religiously while in a hard rock band in which I really beat
    the nerf out of my snare. That head always delivered. I had it
    on a 6 1/2 x 14 Free Floating Brass, and it sounded awesome.
    The important thing for me about that head was that it would
    wear out eventually (like pretty much every other head) but I
    don't think I ever actually broke one. This is a big thing come
    gig-time, when the last worry you want to have is your snare
    head holding up. (I have not tried the Emporer X, but I cannot
    say this about Remo.)

If you're not hitting any softer than an medium hit for this
    application, go with the Hi-Energy.

And this may sound odd, but Hi-Energys SMELL better than any
    other drum head out there!!! The plastic they use for that huge
    dot smells like a new action figure! Have a good whiff, then
    enjoy the strange looks you get from behind the drum shop
    counter.
    Confucious say: man who stand on toilet is high on pot.

9. binford6100

Here's the combination I used on my ELX snare:

1.) Evans Genera Coated (B14GEN) batter
    2.) Evans Genera Opaque 300 reso head
    3.) Puresound Blaster snares.

The only thing I would change would be the reso head. The 300 is a little heavy for my taste. I tuned it a little higher than normal and with the Puresound snares it has a nice dry crack.

The Evans head seems to hold tune pretty well too.

10. Registered User

Aquarian over Remo, quality is much better, just looks at the Aquarian hoops, man those things are beefy!!

Mike

11. Probably on glue.

I just put an Aquarian Hi-Energy (with a standard Aquarian snare side) on my '72 Acrolite. That head DEFINITELY has less sensitivity than the Weathermaster that was on there previously. And a little less sensitivity in general than other snares I've played (granted, I've not played that many just yet).

Now, that being said - the Hi-Energy definitely has a lot more PUNCH - so I'm thinking if sensitivity is extremely important to you - you might wanna pass on the Hi-Energy. But as for backbeat - I can't wait 'til the next time my guitarist turns up to 11... he's gonna be all

12. Registered User

i'd have to go with a variant of the ambassador, the CS (control sound, black dot beneath batter side).
    why: I'm using the Evans powercenter (dot on top) and that material.... man it dries out your snare and though the snare themselves still have a lot of sensitivity, trying to do little buzzes or even really really soft ghost notes can be difficult because somehow that dot soaks up the bounceback and i swear my sticks .... er.... stick... to the head when i try a buzz roll.

i find that the CS on the other hand still gives me both the stick and snare sensitivity, mellowing out that ring just a bit.

mind you i HAVE NOT TRIED THE AQUARIAN but something tells me it's gonna cut off a good amount of warmth and there's just gonna feel like something's missing because of the powerdot material. for this reason i'd go for the ambassador with some form of light muffling, or simply a CS with no other muffling

now don't go and get an evans dry snare or something, i'm sure you wanna tame that ring a little, but trust me if you slap one of those on it'll teach you for life that some ring in a snare is good because it's form of resonance. it simply takes the character out of your drum if you kill the resonance.