Pearl Drummers Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast
  1. Registered User

Finally, the end.

I saved each and every picture of this thread for future viewing.

You're an inspiration. Truly, you've lived the dream. Keep at it
    My snare drum has a facebook page. How about yours?

2. 4 8 15 16 23 42

This thread deserves a fist bump.

3. Registered User

Default And it ain't over yet....

How could this post be complete without this beauty.... The Ludwig White Tiger...... I owned this set from 1977 to 1992. I play 100's of gigs on it, hauled it around Boston and played every club, every fraternity, every college, pretty much every where they would let us play. If you had the stones to carry this set around to gigs, you deserved to wear the "glacier glasses" and wife beater tank top.

The sound of the set was actually unmemorable. Boomy, non-musical - it was a mid 70's vintage set and the drums had some kind of grey acoustic treatment sprayed in them. The only tom that was not original was the 12" concert tom which I bought at the House of Guitars in Rochester NY with lawn mowing money in 1979. I used to line the bass drum with Aluminum Foil cuz' that's how Bonzo did it. And this set had an 18" floor tom which by itself was a pretty righteous drum. I put a thin clear head on it and it sounded like a tympani as I recall. So I could get that fill from "The Song Remains the Same" right......

Note to myself: Get an 18" tom for the Red Masterworks monster.

I sold this set to make way for the Black Yamaha set which was much more compact and much higher quality.
    The one thing I regret was that when I sold the set (I got $800 for it in the Boston Want Advertiser) I let the snare drum go - it was a Ludwig Super Sensitive 6.5X14 - a really great sounding drum. Big mistake.

I still have some of the cymbals. The 18" Zildjian crash to my right is at least 45 years old and is the best sounding crash in the world. I sold the 14" crash to my far left - another regret - never found a 14" crash that cut like that one, again. I also still have (and still use) the 16" crash over my head. Zildjians get better with age...

The rest of the set I did not miss for a minute, especially carrying them around.

Mofo
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 01-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    I collect drums. I play them, too.

Join the Mofo Knows Virtual Drum Battle!

http://home.comcast.net/~mofo_knows/title.html

4. Registered User

Default And here is what I switched to...

I showed this one elsewhere in the post but not with me sitting behind them.

It's kind of hard to see yourself when you were a young man without a double chin or a care in the world.

This was the night of the single best gig of my life - a band called "Ike and the Cold Warriors" that won the MIT Battle of the Bands in 1992.

Those were the days...

Mofo

5. Registered User

Cool thread... nice collection...

Is that Rasberry Halographic available somewhere?

6. Registered User

Can we request that this thread be stickied?

It's very much the best show your kits thread of all time, and since Mofo has had so many kits of different makes, everyone searching for a new kit could come here and find what sound/finish/manufacturer they're looking for.

Too great of a thread to disappear into nothingness!

Either into the University, or stickied into Show your kits
    My snare drum has a facebook page. How about yours?

7. Registered User

Bump for a classic thread. We need updates
    Pearl Custom Z 10-12-13-16, 24, 18
    DW Collectors 10-12-14-22
    Renown 8-10-12-14-14-16-22
    68 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 20-12-16;
    WFL/Ludwig WMP 22-13-16; 14
    80's Gretsch 14-18-24; 18 bass, 12-13-16;
    WANTED: Custom Z 8", 14" toms; Gretsch 14" floor in Walnut; Recording Custom Bass in Cherry

8. 3pc. FTW!!!

dude totally!!!! i was totally lurking the crap outta this, revisiting the awesomeness cotained therin, thinking "i wonder what mofo is playing now?
    "
    Absolute Past

everything will not be made right

Absolute Future

la mode
    xbox = AloofPenny = psnetwork

9. Pearl Corporation USA

More to come from Mofo_Knows...........

I see something really kick a** shinny in the near future........
    Pearl - The Best Reason To Play Drums!

| Pearl | Zildjian | Remo | Vater |

10. Registered User

Default How do you get stickied?

I promise that I will post updates if I get sticky status. I have bought many sets and snare drums since I posted last...

Here is a teaser:

My new "snare wall". Some of the new ones include the Ocheltree Paiste Spirit of 2002, Dunnett Titanium, and Masterworks with tube lugs and Pearl Symphonic Strainer.

Mofo

11. I bang...

Truely magestic. I feel like we have been friends for years and I've never even spoken to you before. I think I speak for us all when I say we will never, ever get tired of you sharing pics and stories of your fantastic journey with us. Please don't let this thread die. Al, it's only been 6 years, get this thing stickied already!!

Mofo, if it's not too much of a hassle, would it be possible to include some sound clips with all the amazing photos? I think it would become an invaluable resource to many of us to be able to reference the sound clips to your descriptions and pics. Ultimately, we would be able to get a first hand comparison between many different bass/tom setups without ever even seeing the drums themselves in real time. I only ask because there are very few, if any, members of the forum with the means, talent, and experience to pull off such a task effectively. Cheers to you sir, and happy holidays.
    10-Piece Custom Pearl Masters MCX Chestnut Fade

8x8, 10x10, 12x10, 14x12, 16x16, 18x16, 22x18 (X2), 14x5.5 matching snare, Remo Rotos 6", 8", 10"

Quote Originally Posted by KickassDrummer
    Like chestnuts roasting over an open fire
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
    You ARE the Chestnut Fade Jedi Master
    CF ARMY GENERAL

12. Registered User

Your request to hear the samples is appreciated but tough to fulfill. I talked about the effects that the drum head has on the sound of the drum, and of course different shell thicknesses and woods. But it turns out that "what you hear" on a recording is also a function of the room and the microphones. After the drum heads and shells, the mic is the third most important. I can make a mediocre bass drum sound great with an Evans EMAD II and an Audix D6. And I have had really great drums that sound great to your ear as you are playing them, that sound mediocre in recordings.

This year, I actually packed up my family and moved across town to have a house with a proper space for a recording studio, and I have spent most of my spare time over the last 3 months getting the space in shape for recording. It's a labor of love and will be a drummer's dream. I am hoping to retire in a few years and spend all of my time in there. Living the dream. I am hoping The Who will then call me up to take over the drum chair. But now we are into the "crazy talk" part of this reply.

A project I have contemplated is creating a professional sample library which could become like a "reference" library. I trigger such libraries with my Roland TD-20

I am not sure anyone would pay me for it, but I know having bought a bunch of the sample libraries that are out there (including BFD, Toon Trax, and Ocean Way) that the drum set selections are somewhat limited.

I am not sure I have the energy to do it, if I can't make money at it.

I do LOVE to play the drums and as you can tell from this response the last few years I have become increasingly interested in recording drums, and engineering music in general.

I think that subject would make a very interesting separate thread.

And I do have to do the "cars of drummers" thread...... that one almost got started in here, before we wisely changed the subject back to drums....

I will keep this thread to the drumsets. The first set I am going to set up when I have the studio done is the Tama Exotix Spartan Stainless Steel, my most recent purchase and one of the most expensive kits I own.

can't wait to hear that one!

Mofo
    Last edited by mofo_knows; 12-21-2011 at 02:41 PM.